Spin-offs featuring fairly minor characters. Page 3

No, but my point is ... uh. Well, I don't recall. But, um, well either way, it's not as AJK was implying.

:D

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 2 2010, 1:07 AM BST

Instead of inventing new comedy situations and characters! Excuse me while I spew.

What comedy do you admire?

Genuinely funny and original comedy mostly, the stuff that's become classical because it broke new ground and started new trends. We Brits are untouchable in this. So I'm talking about Milligan and Sellers, Cook and Moore, Norden and Muir, Galton and Simpson, Ealing Comedies and Carry Ons, Benny Hill, Cleese, MP, Alexei Sayle, Rik Mayall, Steve Coogan, Gervais and Merchant, even French & Saunders. And I love classic sitcoms most of all.

I DO NOT like tired artificial unoriginal comedy, whether it's dire cliched sitcoms, unoriginal sketch shows or identikit trendy standup where they're all basically doing the same worn out stuff, with just a slight variation in hair length.

Yourself?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 2 2010, 5:19 PM BST

Yourself?

Pretty much all of the above, plus Python and more modern stuff like Bain & Armstrong and goodness knows what else.

I can see that you value originality, but even so, the comedy you like has roots in previous work. For example, Galton and Simpson reused the established Hancock character in Hancock's Half Hour, which is pretty much exactly the practice you disdain. The difference is that they did it brilliantly, as opposed to the lame efforts we've become used to in more recent times. So I don't mind characters being reused, just so long as it's funny.

Who remembers Porkpie, the spin-off from Desmond's? I remember Derek Griffiths, the bloke who did the voice-over on kids' show Heads 'n' Tails, was in it.

In another thread someone mentioned Charlie Endell Esq. Not exactly a minor character, and more a comedy drama than a sitcom, but still...

Quote: Timbo @ April 3 2010, 11:02 PM BST

In another thread someone mentioned Charlie Endell Esq. Not exactly a minor character, and more a comedy drama than a sitcom, but still...

I saw it when I was younger, but had no idea that it was a spinoff.
Budgie was a bit before my time.

Quote: catskillz @ April 3 2010, 9:37 PM BST

Who remembers Porkpie, the spin-off from Desmond's?

*raises hand*

I think I may have mentioned it earlier in this thread, in fact.

Here is one, a spin off from a soap opera rather than a sitcom.

The Brothers MacGregor. The characters appeared in just one of the Squidtrillion episodes of Coronation Street.

Can you get more minor than that? Apart from a sitcom starring the man playing darts in the background in the Rovers Return.

Does anyone remember the Doctor Who spin-off "K9 and company"?

I don't think any whovian (although I prefer to be referred to as a "who"-er, for comic reasons) could have taken this show seriously.

Even during the opening titles, Elisabeth Sladen appears to be corpsing!!

Quote: youngian @ April 1 2010, 1:53 PM BST

Daria, Mike Judge's most underrated creation, started life as a minor character in Beavis and Buthead.

Wasn't Hank Hill also in Beavis and Butthead do America ??