George & Mildred Page 2

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 8 2010, 10:39 AM BST

G & M was one of those shows that I loved growing up but would doubtless have nothing but contempt for now.

Kind of like the way one feels about one's parents. :)

G & M was one of those shows that I loved growing up but would doubtless have nothing but contempt for now. Perhaps ITV3 could prove me wrong by programming some episodes in, instead of showing the On The Buses films for the billionth trillionth time.

George & Mildred has aged far better than Man About the House and Butterflies.

George and Mildred is one of my favourites. I've rewatched it all a few times in the past few years. It is fantastic in my view. Even the movie isn't too bad - not as good as the TV show - but are any of them? - better than some others.

I find it a nice comforting show.

I have wondered at times if Yootha had lived on if the show might still be going today? Maybe not. But maybe it had the potential to be another Last Of The Summer Wine? Brian is still going strong in that isn't he? They certainly could have made a LOT more.

I'm pretty sure they'd have gone on. I doubt it'd have lasted until now purely because of the changes in comedy (not to mention Thames losing its franchise), but I would have expected another couple of years at least.

I loved this show. The relationship between George and Mildred was so carefully crafted. I think it could have gone on - as I suggested (with affectionate tounge-in-cheek) in another thread https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/575748/ and https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/576561/

G & M was one of those shows that I loved growing up but would doubtless have nothing but contempt for now. Perhaps ITV3 could prove me wrong by programming some episodes in, instead of showing the On The Buses films for the billionth trillionth time.

And, as if by magic, ITV 3 are showing George and Mildred from today, at 9am and 5pm, instead of On The Buses.

I've seen the first two episodes of this now and it actually stands up pretty well. Some surprisingly subtle gags amongst the more obvious broader humour.

Typical class ridden sit-com of the seventies, much satirized since. None the worse for that, however.

If you've never seen this and wonder what ITV did in the 1970s apart from Rising Damp, then give this a go. Take it for what it is and you might just enjoy it.

Running on ITV3 mornings about 9 and evenings about 5.

I really do love George & Mildred. Mainly George. Yootha's teeth scare me.

Brian Murphy and Yootha Joyce are quite superb.

One of the best on-screen pairings I recall seeing (in sitcom at least).

Maybe sadly for them, they are so very believable!

Can't decide who was the better partnership, Brian and Yootha, or Terry Scott and June Whitfield, both equally good IMO

Just noticed these were running on ITV3. I've never properly watched the series, so I've set up a series link so all the episodes shown will be recorded on my recordable digi box. I think I'll quite get into it. My recordings start tomorrow. How many episodes have been shown up to now on ITV3?

Tomorrow's episode will be the seventh of Series 1, so you've missed 6.

Oh well, if I like it, I'll get the DVDs. Just not struck on 'Man About the House' or 'Robin's Nest' so this has been delayed as a result.