Happy Finish

Comedy Lab sketch show, 19th April, Channel 4. As you can see Channel 4 has stuck its middle finger firmly up at the enduring Daily Mail-style outrage over naughty language. In this single 2 minute sketch there are at least 4 sh*ts, 5 f*cks, a few pr*cks and 2 or 3 c*nts, one of which is the punchline. Can you imagine the Beeb daring to do anything like this at the moment? Obviously I'm not saying swearing necessarily makes a sketch funnier (although it does in this sketch). But still, it must be liberating for the writers to be told "Anything goes" rather than be greeted with a producer sucking air through his teeth and saying "Can you change that to 'flipping'?" http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/bacc487c0a/exclusive-happy-finish-net-hate

That was fantastic Laughing out loud You were right, a brilliant example of swearing being used as a comedy tool and not just for the sake of it or to make a sketch appear edgier.

Having seen this on a preview DVD I can happily say it is excellent and everyone should watch it. See our guide (link at the top of this page) for more information about the show.

Quote: Mark @ April 16 2010, 8:51 PM BST

Having seen this on a preview DVD I can happily say it is excellent and everyone should watch it. See our guide (link at the top of this page) for more information about the show.

Always with the plug

:D

Funny stuff.

At 11.45pm on Monday evening it was made to feel ashamed and embarrassed. I still feel dirty simply writing about it, not even the people in the fake audience laughed except to try and alleviate the overhanging sense of awkwardness. Is the state of British comedy so bad that this permitted to classed as worthy of viewing? No. If this programme was broadcast at 3am to an audience of mindless junkies it would fall short of their pitiful standards. 'Fresh talent' my arse. Just put a repeat of Peep Show on if you're that strapped for cash.

Very, very, very weak. Department of internet hate? Give me a break.

Sucked.

I was tired and missed it. What sort of a weirdo stays up past 11 anyway?

I completely missed this but, in a seven degrees of Kevin Bacon stylee, I think Nico Tatarowicz came up with the "Attention Deficit News" strand on RFTP and gave me permission to subvert it with an "OCD News" sketch in series 2.

Haven't seen it yet. Presume it will be on 4OD?

Looking forward to it as I think Al Campbell is one of the best comedy directors out there.

I didn't find this as bad as some of you did. The internet hate stuff I thought was laugh out loud as was the first part of the time machine sketch. A lot of it did miss and I thought that the guy in the moustache was the only naturally funny member of the cast. A bit sad but my breakdown of the show:

Internet Department of Hate sketches Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
Clown raid :) but predictable
Dead boyfriend ghost Laughing out loud
Pub mates sketches :(
Woman walker/man painting + bloke on pushbike :(
Time machine sketch Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
Watching Lost online :(
Karate in pub :(
Jesus tablet find :(

I thought it was pretty good. Loved the descent into paranoia and guilt over copyright infringement.
Thought the karate in the pub was obvious but well done, though didn't need the guy at the end stepping in.

I thought this showed quite a lot of potential.

I don't think they should have started with the Clown sketch, it was too fast paced just as people are settling in to watch and, for me, it kind of wasted a good premise. The girl incapable of getting her head around the drinking game was ok, but wasn't strong enough to take up such a large percentage of the 22 minutes of the show. I quite liked the moustachioed guy and the black fella, but the female performers could have been stronger.

I think I'd watch a full series.

re The actors: pretty accurate giggle-o, the female performers were awful. They'll probably get re-cast I'd imagine.