Ricky Gervais - The Invention of Acting - Badly

I watched 'The Invention of Lying' at the weekend and realised, finally, realised - not that I haven't thought it for some time - how limited Ricky Gervais is an actor.

Every action and reaction is Gervais/Brent/Millman/and N.E Other charcter he plays. The best laugh was when Stephen Merchant and Shaun Williamson had cameos reprising their roles in 'Extras'. And now I understand why I just don't get James Corden; He and Ricky Gervais are no different right down to the laughter.

Ricky Gervais - what's the point?

I'd say the point is great shows like The Office and Extras.

I'd also say he's no more limited in range then a lot of famous comedy actors, who basically have a known persona that they play out in every film/show they appear in. Look at Woody Allen, he's hardly a freaking chameleon from film to film. He's Woody Allen.

Quote: Baumski @ April 13 2010, 10:54 AM BST

I watched 'The Invention of Lying' at the weekend and realised, finally, realised - not that I haven't thought it for some time - how limited Ricky Gervais is an actor.

Every action and reaction is Gervais/Brent/Millman/and N.E Other charcter he plays. The best laugh was when Stephen Merchant and Shaun Williamson had cameos reprising their roles in 'Extras'. And now I understand why I just don't get James Corden; He and Ricky Gervais are no different right down to the laughter.

Ricky Gervais - what's the point?

He's a fantastic actor and has spawned many, many imitators. No argument that his performances are one note but it's a note that's played very well.

Gervais is limited - and his best work's behind him - but he's still one of the dominant comedy figures of our time. The Office is a stone cold classic, both in writing and performance, and although flawed, Extras is pretty damned excellent. The comedy world would be a poorer place without him.

I think within his acting limits he's brilliant. Do you remember the Comic Relief when he was pretending to be in Africa and was talking to the African guy and was crying - it was a fantastic bit of acting.

There is no doubt that is abilities are limited as has been said but he does what he does very well.

I always remember a bit from the Office where he interrupts Gareth with a mumble and I thought that was clever. People do do that. It's just a way of trying to prevent the other person saying too much so it proves it doesn't always have to be words to make a point.

I suspect he's a bit concerned about his future long term as there's a limit to how far you could stretch that persona. I suspect that in 10 years there will be people saying "Ricky who?"

Quote: Tuumble @ April 13 2010, 11:19 AM BST

I suspect that in 10 years there will be people saying "Ricky who?"

Not if they know anything about great comedy.

Apparently he has been asked to write and appear in an episode of Doctor Who for the next series.

That news does not fill me with unconfined joy.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 13 2010, 11:23 AM BST

Not if they know anything about great comedy.

I should say that I have all the Office and Extras DVDs so I am a fan but I just get the sense that he's already peaked and it's hard to see how he (or anyone for that matter) could match the success he achieved in those early days.

Maybe he won't disappear of the face of the planet but the conveyer belt of awards is coming to close. If that means we are spared the jokes about how many he's had then all the better. I laughed the first few times but he's been using that line for too long now.

If there's a problem with some of the films he's appeared in, it's not his acting.

Quote: Marc P @ April 13 2010, 11:37 AM BST

Apparently he has been asked to write and appear in an episode of Doctor Who for the next series.

I'm assuming you've just made that up.

I've only seen him in Ghost Town. That was ok. Not a great recommendation, but I don't think he wrote that one, did he?

I think he deserves a certain amount of kudos for not just writing himself the main part in Cemetry Junction. Shows that he's, hopefully, more interested in the stories that he's telling than merely getting centre stage.

I really don't think he's somehow going to be forgotten in 10 years time. One or two dodgy fims hardly invalidates an otherwise superb body of work. There are plenty of people thought to have peaked long ago, and yet are still remembered and revered. eg Steve Martin.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ April 13 2010, 1:07 PM BST

I've only seen him in Ghost Town. That was ok. Not a great recommendation, but I don't think he wrote that one, did he?

Exactly, Cemetery Junction is the first film that is properly by him. All the others he's just acted in, really.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 13 2010, 1:04 PM BST

I'm assuming you've just made that up.

Given the writers Moffat has been recruiting it would not come as a surprise.