The 100 Greatest Stand-Ups 2010

The poll last night certainly had its issues. My main problem is the lack of new material that appeared. They just re-used interviews and clips from the last poll for the majority of the show.

They reused the clips to the extent that at one point the voice over said someone was at No. 23 or something when they were actually at 17! I thought it was all quite lazy to be honest.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 11 2010, 9:03 AM BST

The poll last night certainly had its issues. My main problem is the lack of new material that appeared. They just re-used interviews and clips from the last poll for the majority of the poll.

I got very bored with it and turned it over, I never did find out where the new ones went in. Also am I right in thinking there is still no Peter Cook anywhere in the list?? That is insane!!!

I did wince joyfully at some of the 2007 interview clips tho, at how even more standupy and cool a lot of them were desperately trying to look, but in that nonchalent way. When I saw Ed Byrne I thought he is the very cliche of long haired liberal modern young twat looking standup if ever there was one.

At least is wasn't as bum-kissy as these things usually are. They actually brought up stuff like Leary stealing material and Khorsandi not being funny.

I can't quite understand how Billy Connolly won. I don't think I've ever laughed at his stuff.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 11 2010, 10:26 AM BST

I got very bored with it and turned it over, I never did find out where the new ones went in. Also am I right in thinking there is still no Peter Cook anywhere in the list?? That is insane!!!

I wouldn't class Peter Cook as a stand up, really.

I watched it for 4hrs just to find it's bloody Billy Connolly who won again.

I've just never found him funny at all.

But he stood up in his own club and told jokes Mr Stott, the man stood up and did long routines, what more qualification can there be?

Is it because people don't class satire as comedy? That's nuts.

The trouble with this list is that most watching it will think that it's The Top 100 Comedians, well obviously it isn't. They'll have do put that one on again quickly imo, if people are to get the true and balanced picture.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 11 2010, 11:16 AM BST

But he stood up in his own club and told jokes Mr Stott, the man stood up and did long routines, what more qualification can there be?

Is it because people don't class satire as comedy?

Satire was a tiny part of his work, really. Or at least, political satire. He was in that world, but the vast majority of his own actual work had nothing to do with politics.

And I stand by what I said, he was a sketch performer; if he performed alone it was generally to deliver comedic monologues, I just don't think he fits comfortably into what you would class as a stand up. Mr Kipper. Comedian, yes, stand up . . ? Not so much.

Kate Copstick made me laugh, probably more than any of the clips of the stand ups.

Well I find this classification a bit bizarre, I have to tell you. Quite well up on the list is Dave Allen, a comedian who barely stood up in his life!

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ April 11 2010, 11:26 AM BST

Well I find this classification a bit bizarre, I have to tell you.

I'm sure we'll both get over it. :P

If Cook is a stand up, does that mean Dudley Moore, or Alan Bennett, were also stand ups? Because they certainly weren't as far as I'm concerned!:D

And what about the Python boys? They all did a lot of live stuff, before and post Python, the same sort of thing Cook did, but they certainly weren't 'stand ups' as such.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-100-greatest-stand-ups/articles/greatest-stand-ups-of-all-time

At least Stewart Lee has a better name for his next show.

Classification is always going to be a bit tricky, Dave Gorman was 46th and he doesn't even consider himself a "stand up comedian".

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ April 11 2010, 11:34 AM BST

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-100-greatest-stand-ups/articles/greatest-stand-ups-of-all-time

The rankings are so random they might as well have been picked out of a hat. It is also rather biased towards recent memory.

I stopped reading the list when it got to number 3