Pappys, Idiots of Ants & Penny Dreadfuls

What're your thoughts?

I've yet to see the Idiots, but the play the Penny Dreadfuls did two Edinburghs ago was an absolute joy, and Pappy's current tour, the second half especially, is ace.

Live sketch shows/troupes are few and far between, but I'd really encourage all of ye to make the effort to see some.

Idiots Of Ants are good, very slick. I saw Delete The Banjax not too long ago, and thought they were excellent; a bit rawer and shambolic but very funny.

Ah, never heard of them - I'll keep an eye out - nice one

Quote: Rick Allden @ April 9 2010, 7:31 PM BST

Ah, never heard of them - I'll keep an eye out - nice one

They gig a lot, shouldn't be too hard to find somewhere to watch them. :)

Cheers Mr. Stott.

May be tricky at the arse end of Cardiff - but I'll Google the beggars

Quote: Rick Allden @ April 9 2010, 7:34 PM BST

Cheers Mr. Stott.

May be tricky at the arse end of Cardiff - but I'll Google the beggars

Ah, I think they might be mainly London-centric at the moment, but you never know.

Hull uni apparently, but I'll try to see them in Edinburgh. Pappy's were a little raw in the first half, but the second half, which was their Edinburgh show, was much more polished

I saw Pappy's live a while back (before Brendan left) and they were very good. Their radio pilot was great, but their Comedy Lab TV thing wasn't quite up there.

Penny Dreadfuls I've only heard on last year's Guardian Live At Edinburgh podcasts and wasn't at all impressed to be honest.

Never managed to see/hear any of Idiots of Ants, but hear good things. Never heard of Banjax but will look out for them.

Dan

Pennys have never sounded amazing on radio to me, but there live stage play was possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen - rightly receiving billions of five star awards.

I am quite a fan of the Penny Dreadfuls' radio series The Penny Dreadfuls Present..., but I've yet to see them live.

I love Pappys, I've seen them a handful of times now, and every time I see them they always seem to end up in some state of undress, twice at latitude they've got stark bollock naked and Christmas Karaoke Circus they stripped to boxers and jumped up and down lots.

Idiot of Ants were fantastic when I saw them in Sheffield last year, keep meaning to try and see more of them.

Penny Dreadfuls haven't really caught my attention much yet.

Saw a Pappy's and Penny Dreadfuls double bill last night.

Penny Dreafuls I found excellent, very polished and the performances were excellent and just my level of Silly.

I found Pappy's a bit more like some friends mucking about, which isn't to say it wasn't fun, and the fact that they were clearly enjoying themselves added to the charm, they were a bit hit and miss at times, but I came away laughing.

Seeing Idiots hopefully in a couple of weeks (we are doing research for the new JM's Live show... wonder if we can claim for the tickets :)).

Right what other sketch groups do people recommend?

Tommy And The Weeks, a very funny duo.

The Pappy's TV show was the antithesis of comedy.

Dear Danny JB1,

I would suggest to get to see The Sam and Dave Comedy Sketch show, these guys are good!

Regards

Sam