Laughtershock Page 2

So keep using it then Sglen! You might get further with yours than they do with theirs, similar stuff happens, no one gets priority for having shown it first. They own their one, you own yours, simples.

What was all that about then?

Those standup sets were about half as long as a Stewart Lee pause.

And about half as funny.

I wasn't overly impressed with this show. I guess there just wasn't enough time for the acts on stage to really like them and not just feel like you're being thrown around.

The sketches however were, for me, extremely reminiscent of the stuff I wrote in secondary school with my friends for English Language class. Which, more than likely, would only be funny to other people in my class.

There's a fairly bitter review over on a Scottish website which I felt like sharing, not to ruffle feathers, but just as it echoed my views a little. Not that I'm angry about it like this reviewer seems to be: http://living.scotsman.com/features/TV-review-Laughter-ShockLife-of.6195805.jp

Quite impressed that review was published on the 2nd of April even though it was last edited on the 31st March and I'm making this post on the 1st of April
Errr

He didn't like it much, did he? Couldn't really find much to disagree with him on though. Not sure if this is the worst pilot BBC Three has ever broadcast, but I'm sure it's right up down there... As I said previously, there is a good reason that pilots didn't use to be broadcast.

Wow, he really went to town, didn't he?

Thing is, I've seen most of the comedians who were part of this show on the circuit and watched them all kill. For me it's the concept of the show that's fundamentally flawed. When something sells itself as being edgy it's doomed to failure in my eyes.

I agree with whoever said it felt like the stand ups were just getting warmed up and into their routine. It did seem like

intro
best joke
off

Think the format could work just needs a bit of jigging or jiggling or jiggerling.

No way did I think it was as bad as that artical but that's just my opinion, baby!

I agree with what alot of people here are saying, too much trying to be crammed in 30 minutes. I think it should of been 40-45 mins so the stand-up section could of been extended for some.

Other than the feeling of it all being crammed in it was a good show for a pilot, could become a decent bbc three show if it's commissioned.

I'm not sure the format would work even if the stand-up bits were longer. It felt too fragmented to me, each 5 minutes kind of stood alone - it didn't feel coherent. I think it would only work with less comedians, longer stand-up bits, some kind of relationship formed between the comedians and sketches that feel relevant to the stand-up. Obviously, that format is not new but I'm not sure the new format would ever feel right.

That review in the Scotsman was a wee bit harsh; the sketch about using sterotypes to your advantage had me chuckling, and one of the other stand-ups in the middle was ok. Agree with it on the rest though.

Quote: Maccy91 @ April 2 2010, 8:06 PM BST

I agree with what alot of people here are saying, too much trying to be crammed in 30 minutes. I think it should of been 40-45 mins so the stand-up section could of been extended for some.

Other than the feeling of it all being crammed in it was a good show for a pilot, could become a decent bbc three show if it's commissioned.

Yes, I wonder if it was inspired by the Radio 4 show, 28 Acts in 28 Minutes, which bludgeoned the audience unconscious with a relentless volley of stand up snippets.