George & Mildred

Had a look but couldn't see a thread. I've just ordered the box set after seeing the first two episdoes.

I'm pretty sure ITV repeated it in the late 1980s. Apparently Brian Murphy said they were only going to make one more series anyway even if Yootha Joyce hadn't died.

A wonderful sitcom. I want to watch some now.

Definitely one of the great sitcoms which sadly doesn't get the love I think it deserves.

Quote: Richard Wells @ April 2 2010, 9:58 PM BST

Definitely one of the great sitcoms which sadly doesn't get the love I think it deserves.

It does from me !

Lovey

I do admit that when I was a kid, George Roper was one of the funniest things ever.

An enjoyable, if limited, sitcom that targetted a particular audience and succeeded. An all time great? Only if the top 100 were wiped from our memories in a blatant Tory brainwashing tactic.

Ooh, I dunno, it'd probably feature rather high up my list indeed!

Quote: Alan Cornforth @ April 2 2010, 10:04 PM BST

Only if the top 100 were wiped from our memories in a blatant Tory brainwashing tactic.

Well, it's only a matter of time before Kevin Maguire suggests in The Mirror that this is official Conservative policy.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 2 2010, 10:14 PM BST

Well, it's only a matter of time before Kevin Maguire suggests in The Mirror that this is official Conservative policy.

Has anyone ever done a survey on how many threads get knocked off-topic before the end of the first page?

:D ;)

To bring it back on topic, George & Mildred were obviously aspirational lower middle-class Tory voters.

Well, Mildred was! George was, at best, begrudging.

George would have voted Conservative for a quiet life. :)

I think George and Mildred are one of the most fondly remembered married couples in British comedy history. Alongside Terry and June possibly.

Quote: John M @ April 8 2010, 12:57 AM BST

I think George and Mildred are one of the most fondly remembered married couples in British comedy history. Alongside Terry and June possibly.

Don't forget Fred and Rose West. :)

G & M was one of those shows that I loved growing up but would doubtless have nothing but contempt for now. Perhaps ITV3 could prove me wrong by programming some episodes in, instead of showing the On The Buses films for the billionth trillionth time.