Best Rowan Atkinson Character Page 3

Mr Bean.

Mr Bean is a well built charachter, speechless, it grabbed our atention each time it was on telly in the 90s. May find it childish now, but he played a dumb when everybody thought dumb cloud times were over, from the Laurel and Hardy days. Rowan re-invented comedy.

Blackadder was the best sitcom, and besides Rowan it had a wonderful text, Ben Elton was the Paul Merton of those days. It was a jewel of comedy cause it also featured Stephen Fry and Tim McInnerny, plus Hugh Laurie from Series III.

If you ask where were my big laughs, I no doubt say with Tim and Hugh, the Percy, or Darling or Hugh Laurie characters were the funniest moments, many times Rowan played the straight man with them.

The only criticism I have was with Baldrick (Tony Robinson). I think he was not brillant, the sitcom wrote the most funnier bits around him and Rowan, so he could have been better with a more talented actor. He was not bad...but I never liked his acting, his slow speaking seemed forced...there are many other actors who could have delivered a wonderful Baldrick.

It's a problem similar to Fawlty Towers, Manuel was not the ideal choice.

My vote: Mr Bean
Not forgetting his role in Not The Nine O'Clock News.

The vicar in Four Weddings and Funeral is a surefire hoot.

I know what the worst character is IMO, the 'Italian' man in Rat Race. I think that was on C4 earlier

Quote: peter gazzard @ December 3 2009, 7:55 PM GMT

I know what the worst character is IMO, the 'Italian' man in Rat Race. I think that was on C4 earlier

Even worse is Mr Bean on Vacation in Europe and Mr Bean goes to Hollywood movies. Generally speaking, if you want to ruin yourself as an artist, be it actor, painter, ...just go to Hollywood, loads of money, get f...up your talent
luis

Edmund Blackadder and Prince Edmund are the best two for me.

Edmund Black Adder for me. The Elizabethan period series was hilarious.

Blackadder III - The poor butler, surrounded by idiots. His regency incarnation also had the most satisfying pay-off in the final episode.

Also loved his self-parody as Ron Anderson in the under-rated The Tall Guy.

Would it be possible to register an anti-vote for Mr Bean.
It's quite the awfullest thing ever..

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 3 2009, 12:20 PM GMT

The only criticism I have was with Baldrick (Tony Robinson). I think he was not brillant, the sitcom wrote the most funnier bits around him and Rowan, so he could have been better with a more talented actor. He was not bad...but I never liked his acting, his slow speaking seemed forced...there are many other actors who could have delivered a wonderful Baldrick.

:O

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 3 2009, 12:20 PM GMT

Angry

Me and my mates will get you in the playground . . and we know where you live.

I may be alone here but I found Blackadder from season one to be much more amusing and unique a character than the later Osmunds. So my vote would have to go to him, with a close second to Mr. Bean.

Quote: Lazzard @ February 5 2010, 8:18 PM GMT

If it is possible, then add another anti-vote. Though I do think that the series one incarnation of Blackadder could rival Bean for that title.

Quote: Lazzard @ February 5 2010, 8:18 PM GMT

Agreed, you have my vote and full support haha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xneXRYvKWs
Funniest. Thing. Ever.
Proof that this man could just read out a phone book and make it funny.