Jealousy in British comedy Page 8

Quote: Mickeza @ March 2 2010, 8:26 PM GMT

I never even knew there was an argument for it not being a verb, if you can respect someone then surely you can disrespect them also? Plus I hear it used an awful lot on the hippy hoppy albums I own.

Just saw it argued earlier on in this thread. I'd presumed it was a verb before I saw it mentioned here and I'm very suggestible.

Ooh.

Quote: sglen @ March 2 2010, 7:58 PM GMT

So, why isn't disrespect a verb? That's an oversight. It's useful. Make it so!

EDIT: Done. In the 17th century, in fact.

http://www.dailywritingtips.com/that-annoying-new-verb-%E2%80%9Cdisrespect%E2%80%9D/

Woo! I win! In your FACE Godot Taxis!

I think that British stand up are often very jealous and competitive people - they are talented, they are often right about things and they can be nice people, but have you ever watched the comics on Mock The Week when they hear another comic's joke? They don't look happy a lot of the time. I think a lot of comedians think of MM as rather broad comedy and I think the problem about stand up is when you're trying to make it, fame and recognition seem like finite things - like if someone else is making it big there won't be any room left. I almost agree with them to some existent in that, when I go to comedy clubs I see these comics who are sometimes in their fifties and sixties and I sometimes do go home and watch people like MM thinking "well, why can't this person have half as much airtime as you do when he's twice as talented; that's not fair".

xx

Quote: One Two Four @ March 7 2010, 5:37 PM GMT

have you ever watched the comics on Mock The Week when they hear another comic's joke? They don't look happy a lot of the time.

I've noticed that a lot watching that show in particular but others too. I thought Frankie Boyle found it very hard to laugh at Hugh Dennis sometimes and I often caught what looked like a sneer from chairman O'Brien when Frankie had made the funniest comment yet again, as if he didn't want to laugh but was expected to, kind of thing. There was definitely a bit of needle on that show when Boyle was on it, they are all very competetive stand ups going head to head on one short panel show, so that can create rivalry, but Boyle just seemed to think he was the best and didn't give a hoot about the rivalry tension thing. I'm sure they're all glad to see the back of him, especially O'Brien.

Michael McIntyre is garbage. I have yet to meet anyone, let alone anyone who rides the zeitgeist, that thinks he is anything other than a desperately unfunny c**t. And that is a fact.

Quote: jim field @ March 8 2010, 2:43 PM GMT

Michael McIntyre is garbage. I have yet to meet anyone, let alone anyone who rides the zeitgeist, that thinks he is anything other than a desperately unfunny c**t. And that is a fact.

Perhaps you don't know enough people, Jim? I'm by no means a fan of his comedy but I get the appeal - he does clean jokes my mum and dad would like. Face it, we're in the minority.

Quote: David Bussell @ March 8 2010, 2:51 PM GMT

Perhaps you don't know enough people, Jim? I'm by no means a fan of his comedy but I get the appeal - he does clean jokes my mum and dad would like. Face it, we're in the minority.

I know in excess of one thousand people.

Quote: jim field @ March 8 2010, 3:07 PM GMT

I know in excess of one thousand people.

I'm not talking about your MySpace friends, Jim.

Nor am I. I am talking about peers, colleagues, friends, hook-ups, sports pals and so on.

One thousand is about average isn't it? I'm not claiming to be Mr Popular.

Quote: jim field @ March 8 2010, 3:53 PM GMT

Nor am I. I am talking about peers, colleagues, friends, hook-ups, sports pals and so on.

One thousand is about average isn't it? I'm not claiming to be Mr Popular.

I don't know, I can't say I've ever sat down and counted my friends. Are you sure you've asked them all? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a single McIntyre fan among them. And what if they were lying? Maybe they don't want to disappoint you.

Quote: jim field @ March 8 2010, 2:43 PM GMT

As are people who "ride the zeitgeist". And even moreso, people who use the term "ride the zeitgeist".

Wasit mean?

Is it some sort of mythical flying horse with jet engines instead of wings ?

Quote: Aaron @ March 8 2010, 5:22 PM GMT

As are people who "ride the zeitgeist". And even moreso, people who use the term "ride the zeitgeist".

Laughing out loud

Quote: Oldrocker @ March 8 2010, 11:52 PM GMT

Wasit mean?

Is it some sort of mythical flying horse with jet engines instead of wings ?

I believe 'zeitgeist' means 'buttocks' and "ride the zeitgeist" is gay slang.