Rodney Bewes interview in Daily Mail

Bolam has allegedly vetoed The Likely Lads being repeated. http://www.accessinterviews.com/interviews/view/19622

Oh good, does that mean it's going to be shown again then? How one cast member can have the power to stop a show being repeated for decades has made me spew for many a year. Surely they need to put a stop to this insanity.

James Bolam does indeed seem very up himself. And after New Tricks you would think he would want to have been remembered for once having been in something good.

I have not yet read the article, but I can tell you that The Likely Lads and/or Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads pop up on G.O.L.D. semi-regularly.

Maybe they get paid more if they're on the BBC proper...?

I think there may be a set industry rate of royalty for each repeat regardless of what channel it's aired on, although I can't be sure I'm right as the laws may have changed now with all these extra channels around.

But I'm sure I've seen the odd Likey Lads episode on the BBC in the last few years, I know they showed the football score one not THAT long ago, on BBC 2, so has there really been a ban by Bolam or is it just a myth?

Wasn't he just saying they won't get together for an updated version?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 21 2010, 12:32 PM GMT

I think there may be a set industry rate of royalty for each repeat regardless of what channel it's aired on, although I can't be sure I'm right as the laws may have changed now with all these extra channels around.

A few years ago an actor in a well-remembered comedy told me that when the show was repeated on UK Gold it cost him more in requests for signed photographs than he earnt from the repeat fees.

You get practically bugger all for repeats on Gold.

Quote: Marc P @ February 22 2010, 9:19 AM GMT

You get practically bugger all for repeats on Gold.

Tell them to rename the station as they're obviously contravening the trade descriptions act :)

What is practically bugger all?

Fortunately, Mr Bewes appears to have lacked the clout to prevent them from being released on DVD.

Quote: bigfella @ February 22 2010, 12:10 PM GMT

What is practically bugger all?

few quid here and there. :)

"He's ashamed of The Likely Lads because he thinks it's lightweight, because it's comedy and he's such a great actor,' Rodney says, waving a langoustine at me crossly. 'He thinks it might diminish his stunning performance in [BBC drama] New Tricks. Urghh! Don't get me started."

There's a whiff of Harry H Corbett about James Bolam. God knows what he thinks of his performances in Only When I laugh and Andy Capp.

I liked Only When I laugh