Stand up Comedy. Page 34

I just booked my 1st ever stand up thingyyy

:O

Feb 1st so time to start writing...

Just realised my first ever stand up thingy is actually a new act competition...

Finally read this whole thing - hell of a post, you should all be congratulated.

So... had my laughing horse competition last night. Very very mixed feelings about the whole thing. There is a very real "laugh at your mates" vibe to the whole thing. Didn't go through obviously but had resigned myself to that the moment I saw the eventual winner go on - he was excellent and head and shoulders above the other performers. I did an ok set, hampered by being massively jet-lagged (literally landed 2 hours before from a 27 hour flight)so I screwed up a few lines (especially the girlfriend stuff in the middle, forgot the Rubicon joke, & the fecophiliac one blah blah).
It was much better than the FHM night however where I went home in whatever the manly equivalent of tears is.
Still when the MC said 4 people would go through I perked up ... in all honesty I thought I would be in the top 4 ... so was a little glum when I didn't make the cut. Still... I've done less than 10 gigs and these things take time etc...

Anyway, got someone to tape if for me. Am no longer reading from cards... am very pleased with myself. Sorry for the rambling. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2069545/Laughing%20Horse.MOV

Hey Friday,

That link wasn't working for me, not sure if it's my pc.

Glad to hear it went better than FHM and with less than 10 gigs under your belt and jet-lag, don't be so hard on yourself.

I thought the Laughing Horse was a New Acts competition, I wonder what they consider to be new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whBrrUpAwcw&feature=youtube_gdata

Good ol' YouTube
I don't know what New is for them ... I think just not "pro" ... some acts were very polished but others seemed like raw first timers.

Are you still performing Angie?

Hey Shem,

really enjoyed that, and you looked like you did too. Nice and natural delivery.

Loved the circumcision and bakers gags, 'talking about occupations...' is funny and the Wu-Tang stuff went down really well. Maybe add some more to the rap material?

I did wonder if the maliase gag was a bit too high-brow, but it got a good laugh. Nice one!

As for me, I had a gig this week, and one booked for next week. Finding it hard to find the time to get to gigs at the moment, real life's a bit busy at the moment.
:( :)

Quote: Mike T @ January 15 2010, 7:08 PM GMT

I just booked my 1st ever stand up thingyyy

:O

Feb 1st so time to start writing...

Good luck Mike. I've got my first one on Feb 24th. This thread's actually made me feel terrified about it, got to be done though I guess.

Good luck to Darren, Mike and Grace, and all the lurkers.

Don't worry about it, just have fun and enjoy your time on stage.

Thanks for all the advice and good luck wishses :)
Its a month before my 18th birthday if anyone wants to bring.a present..

Thanks Angie ... it really means a lot. Off to book some real gigs and take onboard Tony's tips from the other standup thread (like moving the mic stand out of the way ... I did wonder why everyone did that).

Quote: Tony Cowards @ January 13 2010, 11:49 AM GMT

In the same way that "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" is the antidote to panel games, oh and we have Michael Hackintired MCing not the similarly named TV comic.

Indeed, anyone can get McIntyre. :) Sounds interesting, is it a lot of improv?

Quote: AngieBaby @ January 24 2010, 11:04 PM GMT

Good luck to Darren, Mike and Grace, and all the lurkers.

Don't worry about it, just have fun and enjoy your time on stage.

Thank you!

Had a little gig last night, first time I've filmed it for a while ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qepb8EgkjE

Hey Chopz, the sound was a bit hard to make out what you were saying. You very nautral on stage, totally confident. Loved the penetration gag. ;)