Viz Comic Page 9

Quote: sootyj @ January 22 2010, 10:37 AM GMT

I always goto the Drunken Bakers first. It tocuhes a very deep part of my soul.

I always goto the Drunken Bakers first. It tocuhes a very deep part of my soul.

Evidently.

Quote: Badge @ January 21 2010, 8:45 PM GMT

Billy the Fish = absolute genius, but maybe you have to be a football fan and/or have read Roy of the Rovers.

The topic turned to Viz in the pub last night and a mate said the very same thing that if you're not a footie fan then you won't get a lot of Billy The Fish ( I don't follow football).

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 22 2010, 9:58 AM GMT

'The Drunken Bakers' is the best comic strip part of the magazine. (It's clearly inspired by Samuel Beckett.)

Yes. It is very Beckett-esque. Two tragic characters somehow managing to persevere with their lives (despite having both died a couple of times!). There's also a bit of the Derek & Clive nihilistic attitude in there aswell. The art work for Drnken Bakers is particuarly eye-catching too.

Quote: Dusty Substance @ January 23 2010, 11:06 AM GMT

... if you're not a footie fan then you won't get a lot of Billy The Fish.

My ignorance of football never diminished my enjoyment of Billy the Fish.

I like the footballing Amazonian Indian with huge boobs.

Brown Fox - the busty Redskin. Amazonian only in her proportions.

A redskin from a tribe of football playing Amazonian Indians.

To which I add.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJL1APHzyCw

I can trump that video clip with a boring Mick Hucknall story. He was gobsmacked at a press conference (to promote a concert) in Indonesia in 1997 when a demure Javanese reporter asked how he felt about his portrayal in Billy the Fish. "I've come half-way across the world and I never expected anyone to know about Billy the Fish! I don't mind it though, it's good fun," he said. So he's a good sport off the field as well. Just a shame that in a sadly ironic echo of his musical career, his promising early success was followed with a series of lackluster disappointments.

Roger's Profanisaurus is one of the greatest inventions of the past 200 years !

I was just reading it whilst having an Arnie.

:P

Quote: Kenneth @ January 23 2010, 12:53 PM GMT

Just a shame that in a sadly ironic echo of his musical career, his promising early success was followed with a series of lackluster disappointments.

Laughing out loud One of my favourite Billy the Fish strips.

Drunken Bakers is drawn by an artist called Lee Healey, who amongst other work, has had stuff on CBBC of all places. I used to hate Drunken Bakers but now feel strangely-drawn to the strip's nihilistic charms. It rarely elicits a laugh but it's certainly wormed its way into my affections somehow.

But I love 8 Ace. I love him so much that I know his real name - 'Octavius Tinsworth Ace'. If only Viz cost the same as Eight's favourite tipple, £1:49. Not 600 quid or whatever it is now.

Just got through with Chris Donald's autobiography, 'Rude Kids'. It's a cracking read - a real walk down memory lane for anyone who grew up reading the comic on the 80's. Particularly interesting is the news that Roger Irrelevant is based on his vulcan-like brother who would argue constantly with their father over the exact arrangements of the breakfast table and had an incredible head for useless trivia. It was some time later that he was diagnosed as having Aspergers.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 19 2010, 5:24 PM BST

Just got through with Chris Donald's autobiography, 'Rude Kids'. It's a cracking read - a real walk down memory lane for anyone who grew up reading the comic on the 80's. Particularly interesting is the news that Roger Irrelevant is based on his vulcan-like brother who would argue constantly with their rather over the exact arrangements of the breakfast table and had an incredible head for useless trivia. It was some time later that he was diagnosed as having Aspergers.

Yes - I read that a while ago too.

Oh dear that revelation has left me feeling decidedly hatstand

Quote: David Bussell @ April 19 2010, 5:24 PM BST

Just got through with Chris Donald's autobiography, 'Rude Kids'. It's a cracking read - a real walk down memory lane for anyone who grew up reading the comic on the 80's. Particularly interesting is the news that Roger Irrelevant is based on his vulcan-like brother who would argue constantly with their father over the exact arrangements of the breakfast table and had an incredible head for useless trivia. It was some time later that he was diagnosed as having Aspergers.

Yep, great stuff. Viz went noticably downhill when he left. Turns out Chris Donald thought my favourite ever strip - Tommy and his Magic Arse - was a disaster.

Quite like the story in the latest edition . .

'Paul Daniels Magic Show outsourced to India with the loss of two jobs!'