Recommend me something! Page 2

Quote: IT David @ January 17 2010, 11:05 PM GMT

Sglen. I am sad to say it but I think the programs you like simply are not very good and that if you were to give more 'conventional' comedy a chance you wouldn't never return to the sleeze drench like 'The Peep Show' ever again. Hence my list of recommended shows reads- Allo allo Miranda Terry and June So Haunt Me Dads Army Love Thy Neighbour If you want me to PM you any more shows please do not hesitate to ask.

I'm not sure I'd agree with some of your choices, and your clearly wrong about Peep Show, but I agree he should try some more mainstream comedies from yesteryear. Say Porridge or The Likely Lads.

Not a problem re your oppinion. We are all different and have unique oppinions and entities. E.g if there was no variation in humanity there would be no difference in race, sexuality, religious belief and by gum it would be one dull place and so moments of unity between the various social groups in God's rich diverse tapestry such as the bringing down of Berlin Wall and the ending of apreithied are to be celebrated hence I am willing to accept you like the Peep Show.

However, we certainly stand shoulder to shoulder re Porride and The Likely Lads. Those were comedy my friend.

Yeah, let's face it there's nothing as offensive in Peep Show as there is in Love Thy Neighbour. And bollocks to any arguments about the black guy always winning.

Quote: YesNo @ January 18 2010, 9:05 AM GMT

Yeah, let's face it there's nothing as offensive in Peep Show as there is in Love Thy Neighbour. And bollocks to any arguments about the black guy always winning.

I think Eddie always lost though.

Quote: IT David @ January 17 2010, 11:05 PM GMT

Sglen. I am sad to say it but I think the programs you like simply are not very good and that if you were to give more 'conventional' comedy a chance you wouldn't never return to the sleeze drench like 'The Peep Show' ever again. Hence my list of recommended shows reads-

Allo allo
Miranda
Terry and June
So Haunt Me
Dads Army
Love Thy Neighbour

If you want me to PM you any more shows please do not hesitate to ask.

Just because you don't like them that doesn't mean they aren't any good. The shows and comedians Sglen mentioned are by and large, critically acclaimed. He/she is asking for recommendations, not to be patronised.

Anyway, Conchords gets another vote here, and if you like the film references/homages in Spaced, you might like the often more obscure references in The League of Gentlemen.

Eddie did always lose, but when I was a kid I didn't even know about racism until this show came along.
The main problem is that it makes racism seem like quite a trivial problem - And something that is best countered with more racism.
I don't believe it was made with any malicious intent, but it was very misguided and is best left in the past.

Agreeeeed.

Thanks all!

Seen and loved League of Gentlemen and Garth Marenghi. FOTC I've seen and thought was good but can't seem to get into it as much as others had.

Curb Your Enthusiasm I've only seen a few episodes of and didn't get into it but I said the same about Alan Partridge and changed my mind on the second viewing so I'll give it another try.

Caught 30 Rock the other night, actually. Will be watching again. And have been meaning to watch Arrested Development for ages but keep forgetting. I'll try and catch up.

Good advice on the older programmes too. Have seen bits and pieces of Likely Lads, Porridge, Yes Minister etc. but want to see more.

Like the look of programmes I've never heard of on page one of this thread as well!

Thanks for the list! I have something to do with my year!