The Persuasionists

Anyone know when this is coming out?
It stars Iain Lee & Adam Buxton.
I think it was originally called The Scum Also Rises.

Yes, it was. I think they ended up recording two versions of the series. A right mess.

Anyway, it starts on Wednesday 6th January at 10pm, on BBC Three.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the launch yesterday (Tuesday), and saw the first two episodes.

Not bad at all. Being a studio sitcom it'll be on the receiving end of quite a bit of stick, but it's no Lab Rats or Lunch Monkeys. I'd describe it as somewhere between Reggie Perrin and The IT Crowd, with a pinch of Perfect World.

The gag rate wasn't as high as we've been spoiled with in some shows of late (Not Going Out), but it looks to be a good series and I think it'll pick up a decent following.

It's written by Jonathan Thake, the man behind the Pot Noodle/slag adverts.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_persuasionists/

Rather looking forward to this tonight. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 5 2009, 12:35 AM GMT

Anyway, it starts on Wednesday 6th January at 10pm, on BBC Three.

Wednesday 13th January at 10pm, on BBC Two.

Does Aaron/Ian/anyone know if this was switched from Three to Two for some reason, or had they not decided where to put it until relatively late on? :)

I love Count Buckules so I shall be watching. It's not what I would normally watch, but I did giggle at the preview clip.

Quote: Tim Walker @ January 13 2010, 11:23 AM GMT

Wednesday 13th January at 10pm, on BBC Two.

Does Aaron/Ian/anyone know if this was switched from Three to Two for some reason, or had they not decided where to put it until relatively late on? :)

That was me getting confused and forgetting to edit the post. The pilot, The Scum Also Rises was on BBC Three. Why the date was changed is anyone's guess.

I'm looking forward to giving this a watch.

Adam Buxton is in it - I'm in.

A guy I know from Kung-Fu class is a stand up and he posted about this on facebook. He done the warm up and said it was really funny. Adam Buxton is always worth the trouble I reckons.

Sounds a bit like The Creatives from the blurb.

F**k me, has it come to this? I never thought Iain Lee could be more unfunny, then this turns up.

This... I'm speechless!

Oh my God. What an excruciatingly bad show. I've seen some wrong 'uns recently, but this takes the cockney cheese! Cliched, laboured, wildly inaccurate in even the simplest detail, it had it all. In all my years in advertising I have never heard anyone use the phrase 'type font' (and it wasn't a deliberate error for laughs as far as I could tell), nor did the creatives tell the account directors which one was presenting the idea. Those are just two criticisms that spring to mind. Where exactly in an ad agency did the writer work? The Post Room? Accounts? IT? And how did this get commissioned? It's simply woeful. Had the scenes involving the cockney client been written 30 years ago they would have stretched the bounds of credibility, but today, in 2010? I despair sometimes, I really do.

Quote: Aldeem @ January 13 2010, 10:43 PM GMT

Where exactly in an ad agency did the writer work? The Post Room? Accounts? IT?

He wrote the banned Pot Noodle adverts from a couple of years ago. Apparently. (I hadn't heard of them until I went to the press launch of the series, so can't say anything further on that.)

I only tuned into the show as an ex Hollyoaks actress was in the show but she was hardly featured. That Keaton character reminded me of Kirk from Dear John with hair of Kramer from Seinfeld

Quote: Aaron @ January 13 2010, 10:50 PM GMT

He wrote the banned Pot Noodle adverts from a couple of years ago. Apparently. (I hadn't heard of them until I went to the press launch of the series, so can't say anything further on that.)

On the back of a fag packet? I am still reeling from its total unfunniness and when you can;t even get small details like 'typeface' or 'font' right it just add to the agony. It's like a comedy about accounts having the phrase 'buying ledger' or IT talking about 'Microsoft applicants'instead of applications. But that's the least of its worries, it is just so unfunny all the way through.