Plot ideas

I have got a few sitcoms on the go at the moment and out of the two there is one in particular I like, I won't say much but it has a lot to work with there's a lot of jokes that can be done etc.

Anyway I haven't been working with the sitcom for long, the only real help I have had is the book "how to write a sitcom" by marc Blake and that’s great but I feel I need more help with a sitcom and I was wondering how you guys think of a plot/storyline as I don't want to sacrifice the laughs for the storyline.

Any suggestions welcome.

Normally for me it's just stupid things that I've thought up to amuse myself for 5 mins, and then I think, "hang on, that could work in a script". I write them all down, then when I get round to starting a new project, I review all these stupid things and see if they match with the thing I'm trying to write.

I find that you shouldn't try to force something into a script if it's not working (just 'cos you like it and have grown attached to the gag), but have faith that a different project further down the line will accomodate it better.

Hope that helps.

I know my characters very well, so, in typical British sitcom style, I think 'What's the *worst* that could happen?' and try to come up with a funny premise. Then I try to think of a connected subplot for one of the other characters. Then I write it out as a story, with a beginning, middle and end before attempting the script.

Your idea needs to be funny in the first place, I think that's the key. I know it's obvious, but I don't think some people realise!

Dan

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but i just want to say to Scott T that your Evil office blog is pure genius. It's had me rolling about in stiches. Keep it up

Quote: Mystergeneral @ January 9, 2007, 2:15 PM

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but i just want to say to Scott T that your Evil office blog is pure genius. It's had me rolling about in stiches. Keep it up

Wkd, thanks for that Mystergeneral. Been doing it in various forms for a few years. There's even some audio (my mate does a wicked Mumm-Ra) kicking about with fx and what-have-you.

I think those blog sites are a great and vastly underused medium for comedy.

Thanks for the advice guys I already have a few plots and sub-plots floating about in my head now.

I agree scott I've had a look at your blog... very clever and original made me giggle.

Quote: Scott T @ January 9, 2007, 8:09 PM

Wkd, thanks for that Mystergeneral. Been doing it in various forms for a few years. There's even some audio (my mate does a wicked Mumm-Ra) kicking about with fx and what-have-you.

I think those blog sites are a great and vastly underused medium for comedy.

No I would agree. Interested to know how many people read your blog? Do you know? Have you got somekind of counter?

I think the idea would work well as a podcast - especially as you've got a man who can do Mumm-ra's voice

I haven't got a clue, to be honest. It's fairly new - just started it at the end of last year - and I guess at the moment it's just friends and friends of friends. Please feel free to spread the word! I recently put ads on there too, on a friend's recommendation, so any time you have 5 mins I'd appreciate a click - it all earns me money!

Podcast is a good idea, it's just finding the time to be honest.

I'll try to figure-out some kind of counter and get back to you.

Cheers for the comments, it's good to know someone's looking (that sounds perverted, sorry).

Yep, i look at it everyday. Now your gonna be under pressure to update it everyday now ha ha. Keep up the good work. I'll let you know if your standards slip :D

In terms of plots :
I tend to think in a story arc over the series, eg 6 eps.
I know where to start and where to end then if your characters are "rich", you find that just by throwing them together, the dialogue and gags flow and the situations en route to the finale paint themselves in. I also read something funny or see something funny and adapt it, twist it around and then let the characters play with it. Some things you have to take out and archive, some bits will need tweaking, but generally it's not enough just having characters.
For instance, totally out of the blue, say one of your characters is butcher, what are his dreams? To win the Golden Sausage Award? Well there's your end point, how would he go about trying to achieve it? What would happen to him on the way? Who's going to help him, who's going to hinder him? The jokes come in the dialogue, be wary of inventing a plot around one joke you want to make or steering a plot towards one and then ending up stranded in a dead end. Hopefully that makes sense....! :)

I'm writing a sitcom called 'Street Theatre' and when it comes to plots I believe they are driven by the characters. So if you have a good idea of what your characters personalities are like then you'll know what kind of situations they would react the most funny in.

I usually think up a main plot of the episode and then have a sub-plot for the character(s) that are not involved in the main plot, and sometimes if possible tie the two plots together at the end.

Thanks to all your suggestions I got a plot for my first episode…at least, only problem is I don't have a sub-plot... that’s ok because you could argue introducing everyone/everything generally learning about them could be seen as a sub-plot, plus the main plot is quite dominant.

Skip makes good points re: series progression arcs.

Martin is bang on re: characters define plot, it is their unique and individual responses to an often generic and ordinary event that triggers a series of culminating event and reaction chains.

Introducing characters isn't strictly speaking plot.

Plot (as far as I understand) is sparked by an Initiating Event leading to a series of reactions or decisions made by a character(s) leading to resolution of the original conflict / dilemma presented in the Initiating Event. Initiating Events can be anything (small or large) Tsunami, car pranged, job loss, new worker, to something as small as an innocuous statement such as "Are you putting on weight?" triggering paranoia and diet fads.

The unfolding of character should really occur as a natural process through their unique and individual responses to generic plot / subplot initiating events.

I wouldn't fret too heavily on sub-plot. In a 30 minuter [or even a 23 minuter on commercial TV] there's not a lot of room. Sub-plot can add more depth to end resolution especially if they intertwine at the end. (Fawlty Towers - nearly any episode for masterful handling of Plot - Sub-plot interweaving and the further comic elevation that this has on the main plot)

Ideas for sub-plot:
1) They can derive from the same event as the main plot (e.g. Main plot and sub-plot can focus on differing character reactions to the same event - such as a wedding / funeral.)
2) They can mirror the main plot (e.g. Main plot and sub-plot can focus on differing reactions to different but identical dilemmas / events - e.g Two conflicting dinner engagements - BlackAdder 3 - Main Plot - Edmund wants to keep his puritanical and wealthy aunt sweet. Sub plot, he has to juggle this with a simultaneous challenge by Melchett to a drinking competition. The increasing comedy is in the contrasting nature of the two events and his inability to juggle them. The sub-plot(s): (i guess there are several P.O.V sub-plots here) that the Queen is trying to get into the party, Melchett wants to show up Edmund as a poor drinker.
3) They can contrast the main plot. A historical tale about a rise of one family can be mirrored by the demise of another.

These are just a few off-top-of-head ideas for the pot.

I enjoy your twisted blog too. Keep it up! In terms of podcasts, I've been doing a few to amuse myself and have had about a thousand hits in a month, which is something I suppose. I record a short script using silly voices in a layby and add some guitar and fx maybe and that's it. I then post a message on Reddit bigging it up - that really works!

http://fredpeters.podbean.com/