Nathan Barley Page 7

Quote: Gregor Shamsa @ January 8 2010, 1:17 AM GMT

Yes I know this, but we're discussing Nathan Barley the sitcom character.

We're not doing anything. You're just posting in the same thread as me.

Quote: Gregor Shamsa @ January 8 2010, 1:17 AM GMT

As for Morris' non-involvement...

Glossal frag: Chris Morris & Charlie Brooker

Director: Chris Morris

You'll look long and hard for the post where I said Chris Morris wasn't involved in the TV production.

Quote: Morrace @ January 8 2010, 1:21 AM GMT

Found this:

http://tinyurl.com/xuks

There is nothing of this vibe in the show, unfortunately.

Quote: sglen @ January 8 2010, 12:33 AM GMT

Not sure if I'd go as far as to call him a comedy God

On The Hour, Why Bother, The Day Today, Brass Eye, Blue Jam, Jam, Nathan Barley; he qualifies as far as I'm concerned! :D

Quote: sglen @ January 8 2010, 12:18 AM GMT

I was in a remote part of Cumbria with very none media types at the time and they all seemed to get it.

Yup. It's about idiots, and idiots are found all over.

Chris Morris is a genuine one-off and perhaps one of the greatest qualities is his lack of care for how he is percieved. My computer is playing up otherwise I'd post a link to a brilliant YouTube clip of him appearing in character on a nineties day time talk show with John Stapleton (I think it's called 'the time the place').

Here you go, Ronnie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ecxW3KPUD4

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ January 8 2010, 2:36 PM GMT

Chris Morris is a genuine one-off and perhaps one of the greatest qualities is his lack of care for how he is percieved. My computer is playing up otherwise I'd post a link to a brilliant YouTube clip of him appearing in character on a nineties day time talk show with John Stapleton (I think it's called 'the time the place').

In Why Bother? he certainly holds his own with Peter Cook - and there's not many people who could have done that.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 8 2010, 2:43 PM GMT

In Why Bother? he certainly holds his own with Peter Cook - and there's not many people who could have done that.

Ah, that's a fab series.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ January 8 2010, 2:44 PM GMT

Ah, that's a fab series.

I only have it on cassette taep, so can only listen to it in the car. :(

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 8 2010, 2:48 PM GMT

I only have it on cassette taep, so can only listen to it in the car. :(

I too have it on cassette. I wonder where the bleedin thing is? Have to go digging.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 8 2010, 1:54 PM GMT

Yup. It's about idiots, and idiots are found all over.

That is certainly true, but so is Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, Hi-Di-Hi, etc.

As I said, I enjoyed NB, but if you were to take a similar idea to a production company now, they'd reject it as being 'old fashioned'. That whole trendy Hoxton thing is gone - no more Tony Blair, no more Tracy Emin, no more Oasis - it is now dated and old hat.

Even now when I watch something brilliant like 'Spaced', it does seem very much of it's time.

The good news is that Brooker, Morris, et al can move with the times and create new and fresh material. Unlike a certain V. Wood who still thinks it's 1979 in Rochdale or wherever the fook she's from.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 8 2010, 5:07 PM GMT

That is certainly true, but so is Dad's Army, Are You Being Served, Hi-Di-Hi, etc.

Yes.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 8 2010, 5:11 PM GMT

Yes.

So you agree with me that the show has dated then? Excellent.

And before you go off on one about how Dad's Army etc. is as fresh today as it's ever been, let me stop you by mentioning Big Top.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 8 2010, 5:25 PM GMT

So you agree with me that the show has dated then? Excellent.

I was agreeing with the fact they were about idiots. But yes, Barley is a bit dated in subject matter perhaps; though that doesn't stop it being good.

I never said it wasn't good, I did say that it lacked mainstream appeal due to it's setting and characters.

Unlike that abomination / guilty pleasure Friends, which proceeded to suck off everyone - male, female, gay, straight - they did the lot. Even now I feel ashamed that I enjoyed it so much. :$

For me Nathan Barely hasn't dated. The reason for this is that, despite ecountering people like Nathan, I wasn't really around for this Hoxton Britpop time you speak of and for me it is like some parallel universe, almost a sci-fi programme, wierdly it does remind me a bit of Red Dwarf.

I don't think the writers intended for it to be set in a totally realistic version of Britain, even things like the weather reports and news items, which you occasionaly see, are written in an over the top fashion.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 8 2010, 6:06 PM GMT

I did say that it lacked mainstream appeal

Well, yeah! I don't think anyone, including the people who made it, would think any different.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 8 2010, 6:06 PM GMT

Unlike that abomination / guilty pleasure Friends, which proceeded to suck off everyone - male, female, gay, straight - they did the lot. Even now I feel ashamed that I enjoyed it so much. :$

I love Friends, and I'm not ashamed of it! I can, and do as its repeated so much, watch the same episodes again and again and still enjoy it.