The Royle Family Christmas 2009 Page 6

Yes, after last year's show it came as no surprise but it would have been f**king amazing if they had written a hundred percent subtle show. If anything it would have gained more praise than its glory days as subtely is noticeably absent from everything since TV producers have decided we are all retards.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ December 29 2009, 4:52 PM GMT

Yes, after last year's show it came as no surprise but it would have been f**king amazing if they had written a hundred percent subtle show. If anything it would have gained more praise than its glory days as subtely is noticeably absent from everything since TV producers have decided we are all retards.

sick of the same old depressing shite they've been peddling for the last decade.

and wish to give everyone's brains a rest.

Exactly. :)

Yes FEARLESS is exactly how I would describe the first 3 series (AKA 'The proper episodes'). They took no prisoners. You either understand what they are referring to or you don't - and if you don't - so what? (my dad, after all these years, had no idea what Anthony and Darren were talking about in the kitchen, until I explained it too him when we were watching it again recently for the first time in ages on DVD)

I loved it.. they were on top form.. "what did you have for your tea Denise"? "roast chicken........crisps" ha ha comedy heaven!!

I just finished watching it.

It made me laugh out loud quite a few times.

Overall I found it very enjoyable.

:)

I've just realised that Denise, in these latest Christmas specials, has become such a stereotypical Chav.

-She's thick(er than she used to be)
-She doesn't care about her kids
-She doesn't work
-She loves 'The Jeremy Kyle Show'

... I still laugh at Darren, after Joe's emotional song, giving it "I can still smell shit in here!"

Even the polo mint gag was simple, but very funny & believable! (You did know that there are no calories in polo mints?) lololol

Also, I think getting back to the latest offerings from the Royles ... a main difference for me, is that you used to feel sad for/or angry at a character (especially at Denise) .. as their personality became so believable in the course of an episode. Now, it's just one big "stage show", where the actions of each character aren't as subtle or intimate as they used to be.

... although, I still wouldn't miss it for the world!!! :)

I thought it was funny in some parts but in other parts not so good, they should have given it up after Nana died.

I thought this episode was mostly awful. I could never see this script getting past the first ten page read if it was written by an unknown writer.
I had a script read recently and was absolutely slaughtered for daring to intoduce a fart gag. It seems to me this show was full of it!
I'm not bitter at all!! ;)

Quote: gregdust @ January 1 2010, 3:48 PM GMT

I'm not bitter at all!! ;)

Greg I am a writer myself and I understand instances of minor injustice such as the aformentioned fart joke may irk you, however, I would urge you to free yourself of any bitterness particularly so early in the year, it will only make extenuating circumstances worse.

Take it from one who knows!

This was grotesque, an absolutely apalling demonstration of bad writing and lazy performing. Utter gash.

The first three seasons were quite outstanding, and written with love. This was just lazy, strangely mean-spirited shit.

I geninuely worry for the type of person that finds this content funny.

I've never really 'got' the The Royle Family so haven't watched most of it. Watched this one though, as my girlfriend loves it and, indeed, at this one she laughed like a drain.

I can see why people find it funny, as the writing's quite clever, and I did laugh once or twice but this whole 'unaspirational' characterisation I find deeply depressing. I just felt we were supposed to be laughing at these four simpletons and I felt more sorry for them than anything.

Dan

But Dan, and I don't mean to patronise your woman, clearly she has never 'got' TRF if she laughed like a drain during this Ep.

You are right about the tone of this Ep - it did seem to encourage us to laugh AT them. This is not refletive of the tone of the first three series however - in those, we laughed WITH them.