Not Again: Not The Nine O'Clock News Page 3

Yes, I really enjoyed it as well. Laughed out loud lots of times during the doc and the compilation afterwards. They really didn't labour the point in the sketches, once it's done they cut fast to the next one, most refreshing. Quite honestly there's no reason not to put out full unedited DVDs of it.

I notice they didn't mention the legions of writers who made contributions, and that might have given the impression that it was all written by the people we saw on the show.

Quote: Nogget @ December 29 2009, 11:07 AM GMT

I notice they didn't mention the legions of writers who made contributions, and that might have given the impression that it was all written by the people we saw on the show.

Well they did interview the famous ones i.e. Ruby Wax and Richard Curtis.

Perhaps interestingly for some on here, one of the NTNON writers, Laurie Rowley, was also a frequent contributor to Watson's Wind-up until earlier this year.

Sadly he died in August. Here's his obit from The Guardian written by Clive Anderson.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/sep/10/laurie-rowley-obituary

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 28 2009, 10:54 PM GMT

You've just reminded me of the bit in the documentary when they talk about getting a female cast member. It seems mad today that they approached several top women comics and they all turned down the job.

'Hey would you like to be in a BBC comedy show?'

'No thank you, I'm busy.' :O

I imagine the women they asked thought their job as the token female would be pretty limited - like the real women in Python.

I greatly enjoyed it also. NTNOCN was a favourite of my boyhood (although not the Langham era- I don't remember him at all). I especially recall a skit they did on the Iranian Hostage siege being stormed by the SAS which impressed me at the time since it was broadcast the very day after it happened for real.

I remember Langham, but remember the post GRJ series more. I was only little but we watched it as a family. Mr Dagger has the records somewhere.

It was interesting what they were saying about Rowan being the star, because I don't think that came across at the time.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 28 2009, 11:54 PM GMT

Anyone remember the 'Gift Shop' sketch, starring Mel and Griff? About the onyx ashtray? One of my favourite unsung sketches from this show. :)

Oh, and the best song/medley ever in the show was Rowan's piss take of the Barry Manilow type of singer - '(Because I'm) Wet And Lonely'. So there.

I've never seen that, only song from NTNON I've seen is 'Nice Video, Shame About The Song' by the fictional group Lufthansa Terminal :D

Quote: AngieBaby @ December 28 2009, 11:02 PM GMT

He seemed to be a bit jealous that the Big Yin bagging Pamela too.

I think it's more accurate to say Pamela bagged the Big Yin.

I've never understood why he married her.

She must be absolute f**king dynamite in bed.

She was a bit wild wasn't she, I felt sorry for Reggie Bousinquet, who was clearly drunk at the time as well. She didn't even seem that repentant when trying to explain it, which at least she admitted she couldn't. This must be the main reason that the rest of them didn't get on with her. Apart from being a very attractive non English woman.

I couldn't help wondering if the rest of the crew would have been so quick to lay Langham bare if it wasn't for the 'other business'. If he was still the lead in Thick Of It and In The Loop, would they have been so frank? Maybe.

That producer LLoyd did admit his regret at Langham being treated so badly, to be fair. I thought they did the Langham parting very honestly and didn't go near mentioning his current troubles. The picture we got was of an extreme personality who the others found too hard to work with. It was an interesting if brief insight to a talented journeyman of comedy.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 29 2009, 9:40 PM GMT

She didn't even seem that repentant when trying to explain it, which at least she admitted she couldn't.

Why should she be repentant?! It was just a silly lark for Gods sake, what does it matter?

I wonder if they'd asked Langham to appear, and he refused, or they just wouldn't let him be on? It would have been nice if there'd been more from the writers too, rather than just the actors. It was a good watch regardless.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 29 2009, 10:12 PM GMT

That producer LLoyd did admit his regret at Langham being treated so badly, to be fair.

Was that just that he regretted being so cowardly in the handling of it though?

I enjoyed the fact that during the documentary, they kept showing the same photo of Langham, a close up of his madly gurning face, to make him look like an utter mental! Subtle! :D