Victoria Wood's Mid-Life Christmas Page 6

And there you have it. I've been saying the exact same thing about VW being rubbish for my entire time on this forum and had to put up with constant rebukes from the Vic Wood fans.

I didn't see her 'long awaited' Christmas Eve special, but by all accounts, it was the same old shit she's been trotting out for years - the same shit which VW fans have been saying was brilliantly crafted.

So make up your minds fickle heads - either this was great (like everything else VW has ever made ever) or it was shit.

*RC sits back in his throne made of 'I told you so's' wearing his 'right as usual' crown*

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 26 2009, 2:43 PM GMT

But Saunders is the same - an appalling actress but a funny performer and very good writer.

Don't see the comparison myself. They're both women, I'll give you that. ;)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 26 2009, 2:46 PM GMT

And there you have it. I've been saying the exact same thing about VW being rubbish for my entire time on this forum and had to put up with constant rebukes from the Vic Wood fans.

I didn't see her 'long awaited' Christmas Eve special, but by all accounts, it was the same old shit she's been trotting out for years - the same shit which VW fans have been saying was brilliantly crafted.

So make up your minds fickle heads - either this was great (like everything else VW has ever made ever) or it was shit.

*RC sits back in his throne made of 'I told you so's' wearing his 'right as usual' crown*

My mind is made up!
I've always liked her, and I still do!

(except some of her songs). :)

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2009, 2:49 PM GMT

My mind is made up!
I've always liked her, and I still do!

:D

Good for you zooo, even if I don't agree with you, at least you've stuck to your guns and haven't switched sides.

Then again, you and Aaron seem to have something positive to say about every piece of old tat that's been on this Christmas, usually 'I only saw bits of it, but the bits I did see made me laugh, well not laugh out loud, but you know, it was good, even if it wasn't funny or entertaining in any way'.

:S

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2009, 2:49 PM GMT

As an interesting(?) addition to the "can she act?" argument, as a pianist I'm always stunned by how bad her piano playing is. Yes, she can bang the right notes alright, but that's all she can really do. It's telling that after all these years playing the piano, she seems not to have developed any "touch" whatsoever. This is the sign of a good pianist, not the ability to hit the keys in the right order at the right time. It sort of mirrors the lack of development in her comic acting abilities, perhaps...? Errr

And she probably can't format her scripts properly either... Errr

Well, I am nice.

There must be something I've seen that I hated...
Lemme think.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 26 2009, 2:53 PM GMT

Good for you zooo, even if I don't agree with you, at least you've stuck to your guns and haven't switched sides.

Are you suggesting I have? Unimpressed

I'd say she was okay, infact quite good in her day, but her day did not last long, and wow, does the woman not like it! She replied to Saunders' smash hit sitcom Ab Fab with a piece of frozen cod, and moaned that it was not done right, to try and smokescreen the fact that it was a disaster. Saunders is now facing the same problems herself - comedy has a sell by date - you have learn to develop and change it, like the very best comedians and comedy writers can. Peter Cook did it, John Cleese did it, so it can be done.

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2009, 2:57 PM GMT

There must be something I've seen that I hated...

Clive Anderson's Christmas Contractual Obligation Special? The Funny Side Of Genocide...?

One or two LOL moments, but other than that...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 26 2009, 3:06 PM GMT

and moaned that it was not done right, to try and smokescreen the fact that it was a disaster.

It would be cynical to suggest the complaints from the Wood camp over "BBC interference" prior to the broadcast of this Christmas show were somehow a pre-emptive strike in an attempt to shift the blame for the resultant lack-lustre, underwhelming programme broadcast, onto the network's shoulders. Cynical, that's what it would be. Cynical.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 26 2009, 2:46 PM GMT

Well, no.

Most people are saying that this was below standard. Not that she was never good. So you're still wrong.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ December 26 2009, 2:53 PM GMT

Then again, you and Aaron seem to have something positive to say about every piece of old tat that's been on this Christmas, usually 'I only saw bits of it, but the bits I did see made me laugh, well not laugh out loud, but you know, it was good, even if it wasn't funny or entertaining in any way'.

Perhaps we're just not joyless bastards who switch off if we've not been left rolling on the floor within 3 minutes.

The Best Of The Impressions Show With Culshaw & Stephenson was pretty f**king dire BTW.

For those of you who have never seen this, here's Lucas & Walliams in their 'Mash And Peas' days, parodying Victoria Wood. (Weirdly, Matt Lucas is a fan of Victoria Wood and I remember him later apologising for this parody in an interview.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCTAdwyD4IY

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 26 2009, 3:06 PM GMT

I'd say she was okay, infact quite good in her day, but her day did not last long, and wow, does the woman not like it! She replied to Saunders' smash hit sitcom Ab Fab with a piece of frozen cod, and moaned that it was not done right, to try and smokescreen the fact that it was a disaster.

Are you talking about this week's new show, or dinnerladies? Either way, it's an absurd statement; dinnerladies was great, and this is far too far after to be in any way a "response" to the Absolutely Fabulous shitfest.

Is there any actual proof of this 'hatred' between F&S and Wood? Or have you just invented it?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 26 2009, 3:10 PM GMT

Clive Anderson's Christmas Contractual Obligation Special? The Funny Side Of Genocide...?

One or two LOL moments, but other than that...

It would be cynical to suggest the complaints from the Wood camp over "BBC interference" prior to the broadcast of this Christmas show were somehow a pre-emptive strike in an attempt to shift the blame for the resultant lack-lustre, underwhelming programme broadcast, onto the network's shoulders. Cynical, that's what it would be. Cynical.

No, I meant Dinnerladies, Doctor, do keep up. The woman has a history of whining and making terrible excuses for the perceived failure of her shows in say, the last 15 years. She's at it again - my view is 'Just give up, girl' or 'Go and get a job down the chippy' that you used to sing so vibrantly about.

Quote: zooo @ December 26 2009, 3:32 PM GMT

Is there any actual proof of this 'hatred' between F&S and Wood? Or have you just invented it?

Dawn French interviewed Victoria Wood on her Girls Who Do Comedy series. As I recall, there didn't seem to be much hostility in the air then. (Then again, it was TeeVee Land, where comedians love each other, all living in a big happy house together.)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 26 2009, 3:34 PM GMT

No, I meant Dinnerladies, Doctor, do keep up.

I know you were talking about dinnerladies, Alfred. I was just trying to perhaps support your point by mentioning the pre-broadcast complaints about the BBC from the Wood camp. ;)