Viz Comic Page 7

Quote: sootyj @ November 2 2009, 5:04 PM GMT

Atleast you didn't fax her.

:)

Quote: Griff @ November 2 2009, 4:01 PM GMT

I've got a photocopy of my first writing cheque, for a short story I sold for £250.00 in 1995. How I looked forward to a life of profitable writing. As it turned out, the next one (not counting day job stuff) was for about £20.00 the following year, and the one after that was about £10.00 for a NewsRevue sketch about Ruth Kelly in 2007.

I hope you paid the tax on that lot !

BOT

I used to honestly think that they wrote all the letters themselves.
I didn't realise you could send them in.

One of my favourite letters in recent years was...

"Robbie Williams sings 'Let Me Entertain You'. Alright Robbie, in your own time, son..."

I was just re-reading the Viz annual, The Sausage Sandwich, when I noticed errata in the first Top Tips section on page 7. Underneath J. Lewis' letter is a contribution covered by a sticker that reads:

"PUBLISHERS. Ensure that your editors have read the proofs of your books before printing a quarter of a million of them. J. Brown, London"

I tried peeling off the sticker to check if there was anything underneath but it's stuck fast. Does anyone have a copy of the annual, or indeed the original comic, so I can know what I'm missing? Yahoo Answers, Wikipedia or Google have nothing on this subject.

PS. Interestingly there's a genuine typo on the opposite page in P. Turton's letter.

Quote: David Bussell @ December 22 2009, 1:16 PM GMT

I tried peeling off the sticker to check if there was anything underneath but it's stuck fast. Does anyone have a copy of the annual, or indeed the original comic, so I can know what I'm missing? Yahoo Answers, Wikipedia or Google have nothing on this subject.

PS. Interestingly there's a genuine typo on the opposite page in P. Turton's letter.

I have The Sausage Sandwich at home. I don't recall a sticker over any part of the Top Tips. If no one has replied to your query by mid-January 2010, I'll be home by then and have a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz_(comic)

"In his book Rude Kids: The Inside Story of Viz, Chris Donald mentions that he was interviewed by police after giving the go-ahead to publish a Top Tip which could have been interpreted as an incitement to carry out a bomb plot. Donald claims that he then accidentally included the offending statement in that year's Viz annual, and had to have it covered with a sticker by the publishers."

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 22 2009, 1:53 PM GMT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viz_(comic)

"In his book Rude Kids: The Inside Story of Viz, Chris Donald mentions that he was interviewed by police after giving the go-ahead to publish a Top Tip which could have been interpreted as an incitement to carry out a bomb plot. Donald claims that he then accidentally included the offending statement in that year's Viz annual, and had to have it covered with a sticker by the publishers."

Good spot, Kevin! Seems I wasn't as thorough as I'd thought. I'd still love to know what the 'bomb plot' was though, if anyone has an original issue - presumably #38.

Quote: Griff @ December 22 2009, 7:48 PM GMT

I was working at an airline-related IT company at that time and got a massive bollocking for photocopying that very Top Tip and putting it on the noticeboard in their foyer, apparently this didn't impress some of their visitors.

Always giving one finger to the man!

I didn't know you were a black panther, Griff.

The things you can learn on BCG.

Quote: Griff @ December 22 2009, 8:03 PM GMT

I don't get along to the meetings that often, to be honest.

I expect the NewsRevue meetings are revolutionary enough.

Quote: Ben @ December 22 2009, 8:02 PM GMT

I didn't know you were a black panther, Griff.

The things you can learn on BCG.

He also the grand Kleader of his local KKK Klavern he has a special diary to make sure he doesn't go to the wrong meetings.

Sootyj is a militant lesbian nazi. And as such will be voting LibDem.

Quote: Griff @ December 22 2009, 8:01 PM GMT

Hey ! Wolfie !

:D

I did enjoy reading this 'Top Tip' today in the current issue...

'Pretend you are an E4 programme planner by buying the entire DVD box set of Friends and playing discs at random.'

:D

Favourite Top Tip I've read recently was along the lines of . .

U.S. Army. Capture Taliban in the Bora Bora mountains by setting giant mousetraps and baiting them with little girls learning to read.