Comedy.co.uk Awards 2008 Page 6

I have just come across something very good on Amazon. This is a product description for Bleak Expectations: Series Three.

The third volume of this magnificent, award-winning Dickensian comic epic first transmitted by the British Broadcasting Club's Radio 4. It's a Victorian epic of shenanigans at awful schools, worse prisons, featuring giant rabbits, and long lost super-hero aunts - in the style of Charles Dickens after far too much gin. Winner of the 'British Comedy Guide Editors' Award', volume three stars Anthony Head, Celia Imrie, Geoffrey Whitehead, Richard Johnson, Tom Allen, James Bachman and David Mitchell. Revel in the many fine quips, characters and scenarios in these six glorious episodes written by Mr. Mark Evans and produced by Mr. Gareth Edwards, previously renowned for their craftsmanship on the works of Messrs. Mitchell and Webb.

We are getting more attention. Pleased

Ooooh! When is the 2009 one happening?

The same time it does every year - January.

You should combine the awards with a meet up.

Quote: EllieJP @ November 2 2009, 10:06 AM GMT

Ooooh! When is the 2009 one happening?

Quote: Aaron @ November 2 2009, 11:13 AM GMT

The same time it does every year - January.

2010 :S

Quote: bigfella @ November 8 2009, 2:56 PM GMT

Yes, it has to be in 2010, or we can't include the Christmas specials in the voting (which are often some of the best things of the year)... that's one fault of the British Comedy Awards, they only actually cover about 10 months output.

Most awards take place for the previous year don't they? I can't think of any off the top of my head but didn't A Matter of Loaf and Death fall into that trap. Airing in 2008 but not getting an award until ages after?

Quote: Mark @ November 8 2009, 4:27 PM GMT

Yes, it has to be in 2010, or we can't include the Christmas specials in the voting (which are often some of the best things of the year)... that's one fault of the British Comedy Awards, they only actually cover about 10 months output.

(And series that run through to the Christmas period; Outnumbered Series 2 ended on 27th December, for example. How can an award ceremony claim to be of a year that hasn't even finished yet? Quite bizarre.)

Quote: Robert D @ November 8 2009, 5:46 PM GMT

Most awards take place for the previous year don't they? I can't think of any off the top of my head but didn't A Matter of Loaf and Death fall into that trap. Airing in 2008 but not getting an award until ages after?

A Matter Of Loaf And Death was broadcast on Christmas Day, and so hasn't been eligible to any awards that have taken place to date.

I don't take any interest or notice of awards in media other than television, but going to the BCAs as an example, they only seem to count the year in which the award takes place - and as they take such a long time to do the judging, anything on later than mid-Octoberish is likely to be lost.

Looking forward to the new year, so we can soon vote for Horne & Corden as Worst Sketch Show. :)

Last Wednesday I found a copy of the Daily Express on the train. In the tiny radio section opposite the telly page they mentioned how the Laura Solon Show had been voted British Comedy Guide Radio Sketch Show of the year. I think. So well done on that assuming I didn't imagine it. Because I was readining it quite shiftily fast on the off chance that someone saw me reading the Express.

Haha. Nice to see we got some mainstream press attention - even if it was the Express! :)