'Canned Laughter' Page 4

That was an interesting article. Not being overly knowledgeable about such things I assumed that some laugh tracks were "canned". Now of course I know better. I still don't think it always works though.

Quote: don rushmore @ November 30 2009, 1:42 PM GMT

I don't know why, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is actually the real David Baddiel.

Me too for some reason. Although seems a bit silly to come on here just for that.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 30 2009, 3:29 PM GMT

Even if this isn't "the" David Baddiel, then I'd still have to agree with him. I've never heard any David Baddiel refer to himself as "Dave".

What about Rodney?

Quote: Chappers @ November 30 2009, 5:34 PM GMT

Me too for some reason. Although seems a bit silly to come on here just for that.

Ah, but now he's here, maybe he will realise what a delightful place this is to be.

Or maybe he'll just log on to yank jim's chain because he's bored.

Quote: don rushmore @ November 30 2009, 1:42 PM GMT

I don't know why, but I've got a sneaking suspicion that this is actually the real David Baddiel.

Yes, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that you're the real Don Rushmore.

In February 2008, David Baddiel was quoted in The Times:

"I'm not called David because it's a Hebrew name, but because my dad is Welsh. I don't mind being called Dave or David. One of my oldest friends, who I call Dave, calls me Dave. Frank Skinner calls me Dave."

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ November 30 2009, 7:00 PM GMT

"I'm not called David because it's a Hebrew name, but because my dad is Welsh. I don't mind being called Dave or David. One of my oldest friends, who I call Dave, calls me Dave. Frank Skinner calls me Dave."

Thank you.

Quote: jim field @ November 30 2009, 7:04 PM GMT

Thank you.

Shouldn't you have said 'I rest my case'? ;)

Quote: The Giggle-o @ November 30 2009, 7:10 PM GMT

Shouldn't you have said 'I rest my case'? ;)

No. Only people employed within the legal profession would say that.

Yeah, but how do we know that this is the real David Baddiel, and not a cheap imposter?

But he said he'd never introduced himself in his career as 'Dave'. :)

Quote: don rushmore @ November 30 2009, 7:22 PM GMT

Yeah, but how do we know that this is the real David Baddiel, and not a cheap imposter?

You might have something there, Don. It's probably this bloke - he's a 'David Baddiel impersonator'

http://www.freewebs.com/mrandersonband/staff.htm

:D

Very good.

It's quite likely to be the 'real' David Baddiel. And even an imposter is welcome if popping jim field's bizarre pomposity. The dashing millionaire lawyer supermodel dater!

My view on 'canned laughter' is that it depends on the sitcom and that sitcoms that use an audience is not second rate compared to a sitcom that does not have an audience and shot more like a drama. Scrubs for example is set in a hospital and has a mix of funny and sad moments and to have laughter would be seen inapprotiate, The Office was a mock documentary and so an audience wasn't needed in order to maintain some realism and shows like The Royle Family and Outnumbered a lot of the humour is through the dialogue and again a live audience isn't needed.

Some American sitcoms like How I Met Your Mother aren't shot in front of an audience due to the nature of the show but it's recorded in the studio then the finished product is shown to an audience.

Quote: Jonwo @ November 30 2009, 11:54 PM GMT

Some American sitcoms like How I Met Your Mother aren't shot in front of an audience due to the nature of the show but it's recorded in the studio then the finished product is shown to an audience.

Like Last of the Summer Wine.