Absolutely Fabulous

I was unable to find a thread for this, which was surprising.

I only just found out that the US remake is now not happening. I'm quite disappointed as I think it would have been interesting :(

I've come across alot of comments from people on here who don't like Ab Fab, but I think it's up there with the best :)

I have no idea why they would need to re-format that show for an American market anyway. It is what it is.

I agree. It always bugs me when we over here are expected to tolerate all of their shows in our primetime slots, but they rarely show one of our shows at primetime, saying it's because they can't understand regional accents, when we have to get used to drawling accents from all over the USA.

Then they have the cheek to remake some shows very badly.

Though I think Ab Fab might have been interesting.

That's the Yanks for you. That's why so many across the globe despise them, whether they have a new trendy black pres or not.

Quote: david carmon @ September 29 2009, 3:44 PM BST

I only just found out that the US remake is now not happening. I'm quite disappointed as I think it would have been interesting :(

You think? Really?
I'm 100% sure Americans would, striving to be so PC, squeeze all the fun out of it.

I'm perhaps not the biggest fan of the original... but one thing I always liked about it was the recurring role of Bo Turtle. Mo Gaffney was fantastic as this religious experimentalist.

I did think it might have been so OTT that it could have been fun in a way to watch the Americans do it. Maybe I'm just missing Cybil or Roseanne.

hello, just joined today.
Absolutely Fabulous is one of the best comedy shows of all time in my opinion.
(It's in my list.)

I saw the American version of Coupling and it would have been better, had I not watched it. The characters just did not do it for me.
Maybe it was because I already watched the original BBC version.
All they did was redo the original show using an American cast with a slight variance to fit the American backdrop.

In light of that, it might be better off, not redoing it Hollywood style.

Seeker

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
just bought tickets to see michael mcintyre at nottingham arena on 19th november, can't wait!

I never liked it myself.

Quote: Hannah Gleave @ October 20 2009, 3:19 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud
just bought tickets to see michael mcintyre at nottingham arena on 19th november, can't wait!

What's this got to do with Ab Fab?

I do find him very smug though - just like JS so maybe they're the same person.

In the new M&S Christmas advert where Joanna Lumley & Jennifer Saunders appear it looks a bit like a version of the kitchen.

The unit, fridge and table are in the same place as well as the opening that is near the fridge. Could it be more Ab Fab on the way?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vbqN9bB1MI

Quote: David Carmon @ September 29 2009, 5:30 PM GMT

I agree. It always bugs me when we over here are expected to tolerate all of their shows in our primetime slots, but they rarely show one of our shows at primetime, saying it's because they can't understand regional accents, when we have to get used to drawling accents from all over the USA.

Then they have the cheek to remake some shows very badly.

Though I think Ab Fab might have been interesting.

Yes, Ab Fab is one of my favourites too. Very well written.
And you said it, an American remake is rubbish. Their nasal accent and unflexible sense of humour is part of the culture. They can't understand the jokes, not only the accent. I'm Brazilian, native Portuguese, and I love Brit sitcoms. But they are not on nor ever were on here. Only Sony-Warner-American sitcoms. People consume what they are given. And they think it's the best.
When I show my friends a British sitcom, they shout: "Why they don't play that here?"

Americans are so jealous of British talent that they have persistently cast British accent actors as villains through out the movie-telly history. They turned popular taste against it to protect their own low quality standards. American humour can be depicted by that "Humor Teacher" interviewed by Borat, a technical stuff they think can be written weekly on demand.
One exception: Seinfeld.

Quote: David Carmon @ November 30 2009, 3:05 AM GMT

In the new M&S Christmas advert where Joanna Lumley & Jennifer Saunders appear it looks a bit like a version of the kitchen.

The unit, fridge and table are in the same place as well as the opening that is near the fridge. Could it be more Ab Fab on the way?

Or, more likely, is it M&S playing on an established fan base to create familiarity and warmth with the audience?

Quote: luis kmentt @ December 3 2009, 12:51 PM GMT

Americans are so jealous of British talent that they have persistently cast British accent actors as villains through out the movie-telly history.

More like jealous of British excellence in general, not just acting talent! Cool

Good show in its day but they did it to death. Please no more.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 3 2009, 7:48 PM GMT

Good show in its day but they did it to death. Please no more.

I second this post.