'Canned Laughter'

A nice little piece in The Times today by David Baddiel, once again bemoaning the use of the phrase "canned laughter" by critics and their ilk...

Canned Laughter - David Baddiel

Quite a few of them of late, and a number of rants on Twitter too. Good to see the voice of reason and truth getting an airing at last.

*canned laughter*

Yay, go David!

I enjoyed the article with Larry David too. Two Davids and Jews for the price of one. :)

Dave Baddiel is an absolute hack. His 'performance' on the Jonathan Ross Show was utterley shocking, almost sick-making.

David*
utterly*

*utterly = yes, Jim's bad.

*David? Nope, Dave is fine as that is how he introduces himself.

Quote: jim field @ November 28 2009, 8:55 PM GMT

Dave Baddiel is an absolute hack. His 'performance' on the Jonathan Ross Show was utterley shocking, almost sick-making.

*sick-making

"No results found for sick-making:

Did you mean pockmarking?

Dictionary:
# bookmaking
# skanking
# screaking
# smacking
# snowmaking..."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sick-making

Quote: Morrace @ November 29 2009, 12:45 AM GMT

*sick-making

"No results found for sick-making:

Did you mean pockmarking?

Dictionary:
# bookmaking
# skanking
# screaking
# smacking
# snowmaking..."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sick-making

No, I meant sick-making - and you know exactly what I meant. Now fall back.

Yeah Morrace, fall back. Only old fogeys use words like nauseous and noisome. The rest of the world - and all the beautiful and clever people - say "sick-making".

"fall back"? Huh?

Yeah, Morrace, get wind of the programme! Angry

The term canned laughter is sick-making.

I love canned/added/live laughter on TV programmes. I love any televisual device that saves me the trouble of deciding for myself what's funny and what's not.

I want also to hear canned/added/live crying, wailing and gnashing of teeth whenever something sad is happening.

Long gone are the days when we had to get off our arses to change channel. Surely, it's time to go the whole hog and remove all necessity for us to make up our own minds about a programm's funniness or sadness?

It's nearly 2010 for God's sake!

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ November 29 2009, 9:16 AM GMT

I love canned/added/live laughter on TV programmes.

Hear hear.