Representation of teenagers in comedy

How do you feel about the representation of teenagers in British TV comedy ?

If I was to conduct a questionnaire what type of questions do you feel would be beneficial ?

Finally, what teenagers can you think of in British comedy ?

There is your classics like Kevin and Perry to contemporary characters like Cook from Skins, also there is your Young Ones.

It will be very much appreciated if you reply, thank you

x Nath x

They're completely unrealistic in that teenagers in sitcoms are all presented as being almost human, likeable even, in the case of shows like The Inbetweeners. Whereas real teenagers are stab-happy incoherent yobs who hang around on street corners, stabbing.

Hope that helps.

The Inbetweeners is a refreshing change in that it doesn't deal with the cool types. Although still looks at people who are trying to be cool. On that level it's not reflective of my teen-hood. Most other shows with teenagers depict them as uncommunicative obnoxious tits. Which may be true for a majority of teens, but certainly isn't universal.

Teens have usually been cast as stereotyped rebels who can't accept authority, from my memory of most British comedy progs. That and the moody hormonally imbalanced types like Kevin and co. Occasionally we've seen the uptight, rigidly sensible, non rebellious goody goody type that in reality are quite common, I feel. Sappy from AbFab was one such specimen.

Overall I'd say teenagers are pretty well portrayed compared to children; apart from Outnumbered, I can't think of much TV that actually portrays children in a realistic way.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ November 23 2009, 2:44 PM GMT

Overall I'd say teenagers are pretty well portrayed compared to children;

Quote: Morrace @ November 23 2009, 4:07 PM GMT

Who is this teenager? Is he a famous comedy actor? If so, where from? I do not recognise him.

Quote: IT David @ November 23 2009, 4:41 PM GMT

Who is this teenager? Is he a famous comedy actor? If so, where from? I do not recognise him.

He was in a movie called 'Don't Kid A Kidder' (I think).

Quote: chipolata @ November 23 2009, 12:33 PM GMT

They're completely unrealistic in that teenagers in sitcoms are all presented as being almost human, likeable even, in the case of shows like The Inbetweeners. Whereas real teenagers are stab-happy incoherent yobs who hang around on street corners, stabbing.

Hope that helps.

That is NOT true at all.

... with an underdeveloped sense of irony...

;)

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ November 23 2009, 8:09 PM GMT

... with an underdeveloped sense of irony...

;)

Dan

What?
>_<
There was no irony in that comment at all