Doctor Who... Page 346

Quote: sootyj @ November 15 2009, 9:17 PM GMT

1 Insects are vital for natural ferilisation of plants and decaying organic matter.

Makes sense. But manual pollination would have been pretty easy, I would have thought.

2 Corridors were created over time on Mars from materials already there. There's so many of them to maintain adequate atmosphere. Also the base is obviously the first stage of a larger colonisation program.

But they can't make bikes?

Yes but there's a finite amount of construction time, and bikes would be a bad ideas as they would encourage accidents.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 15 2009, 9:07 PM GMT

Also, there were some science bits that bugged me.

There were some science bits? I must have blinked and missed those.

I thought it was the usual RTD, "Wouldn't it be cool if.. and then we could... oh, don't bother trying to make sense of it, if everyone keeps running around no-one will think to ask. Oh and don't forget to throw in an allusion to how normal it will be in the future to be gay."

Same here but you know there are limits.

e.g. Space portaloos stole the Earth, ooh piss themselves aliens eek!

Oh stop being such Maggie moaners.
:)

There's only two left. Save your moaning for the new shit doctor.

Quote: Griff @ November 15 2009, 9:26 PM GMT

In a programme about Daleks and shit I don't mind too much about whether they get the science right.

It wasn't getting the science right I cared about. It was not even making a perfunctory attempt to explain why or how things were happening. People drank some unfiltered water and turned into human water cannons for no adequately explained reason. And why were these water-borne Martian bodysnatchers so determined to go somewhere with water when they were each capable of the output of the London ring main? And how did they do that? Apart from the limitations of the human body, where was the water coming from?

I don't normally go picking holes in stories, but with RTD there are more holes than plot. The bottomline for me is that RTD is a writer who simply doesn't understand sci-fi as a genre. All you get are flashy images that are not underpinned by any rationale, however tenuous. It is incredibly lazy writing.

Galactica and decent Who proved that well thought solutions and problems can be way more engaging than "magic science"

RTD makes the same errors over and over.

Galactica and decent Who proved that well thought solutions and problems can be way more engaging than "magic science"

RTD makes the same errors over and over.

The flying London bus from the last special . . .

Speaking as an averagely brained viewer, I didn't notice any holes that bothered me in the slightest.
Maybe it's just science-minded/anal types who care. (not perjorative*)

*word of the week.

I'm afraid Zoo you're proving why women shouldn't be allowed to watch Scifi. Unless they're Ursula Le Guinn or Anne Kress.

Quote: sootyj @ November 15 2009, 9:47 PM GMT

I'm afraid Zoo you're proving why women shouldn't be allowed to watch Scifi. Unless they're Ursula Le Guinn or Anne Kress.

Oh do f**k off. :)

Besides, according to that theory the people who would enjoy it more are the ones who shouldn't be allowed to watch it?
Not a lot of logic in that one is there? :)

I think it's the anal ones who shouldn't be allowed to watch it. Then they don't have to get all het up over the perceived problems. Bless 'em.

I enjoyed it, and I liked Evil Doctor. I don't understand why Graham Harper is held in such high regard though.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2009, 9:50 PM GMT

Oh do f**k off. :)

Besides, according to that theory the people who would enjoy it more are the ones who shouldn't be allowed to watch it?
Not a lot of logic in that one is there? :)

I think it's the anal ones who shouldn't be allowed to watch it. Then they don't have to get all het up over the perceived problems. Bless 'em.

Agree. Picky pickers get on my nerves.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 15 2009, 9:52 PM GMT

Agree. Picky pickers get on my nerves.

Yes. Except when I'm being picky about something, then it's deserved. ;)

Quote: sootyj @ November 15 2009, 9:44 PM GMT

Though Galactica ended up being about God and angels and ghostie things, or something.