Doctor Who... Page 345

My mummy did get very cross that she couldn't hear The Doctor's dialogue over the 'bloody music'.

The evil bit was a little errmm eh? So he saved her from death, why not just dump her some one on the other side of the universe and not where she'd have to kill herself.

I mean evil Dr cool, Dr an absent minded twat?

Well that was the whole point wasn't it, he lost it a bit.

Quote: Griff @ November 15 2009, 8:18 PM GMT

Someone should shoot Murray Gold though. It's long overdue and now quite urgent.

Anybody know if he's retained in the new regime? His relentless bombast is more than irritating.

Quote: zooo @ November 15 2009, 8:58 PM GMT

Well that was the whole point wasn't it, he lost it a bit.

Yeh sort of but it was a bit kinda random.

Quote: Badge @ November 15 2009, 8:58 PM GMT

Anybody know if he's retained in the new regime? His relentless bombast is more than irritating.

As was this very pompous outburst. Sorry.

Quote: sootyj @ November 15 2009, 9:01 PM GMT

Yeh sort of but it was a bit kinda random.

Random? Wasn't random, it was quite purposeful.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 15 2009, 8:50 PM GMT

Really? You didn't see how good an episode of Who that was?? Ah well. I thought it was 'triffic. :)

It wasn't terrible, I just didn't get why he turned bad at the end. I was guessing he'd been taken over by the Master, but when that didn't happen I couldn't figure it out.

Also, there were some science bits that bugged me.

The Doctor's constantly whining about the lack of bikes for traversing those vast, empty corridors. It is explained that every pound of cargo requires three tonnes of fuel to get from Earth to Mars. So why bring the vast, empty corridors?

It is explained that birds are brought to keep the insects in check. So why bring the insects? And why not bring predators for the birds also?

Like the woman who swallowed a fly, I don't know why she swallowed a fly perhaps she'll die?
Her?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ November 15 2009, 9:07 PM GMT

It wasn't terrible, I just didn't get why he turned bad at the end. I was guessing he'd been taken over by the Master, but when that didn't happen I couldn't figure it out.

Well, I got what was going on with that, I thought it was pretty clear, but maybe not.

It's setting up the end for this doctor, the final 2 episodes.

But we can't talk about them. :)

The Doctor's constantly whining about the lack of bikes for traversing those vast, empty corridors. It is explained that every pound of cargo requires three tonnes of fuel to get from Earth to Mars. So why bring the vast, empty corridors?

It is explained that birds are brought to keep the insects in check. So why bring the insects? And why not bring predators for the birds also?

Good points but these things always crop up in Russell T Davies scripts. The actual answers are that he needed the birds to show the watery things selectively attacked humans, so he needed the insects as an excuse for having birds, and he couldn't be arsed to explain the insects.

He needed the corridors for people to run down.

They are going to have sort the blinking continuity out at some point.
Sometime a character is going to have to say,

"Not more ruddy aliens, Daleks, Slitheen, Ood just all piss off and that includes new Cybermen, you may not be alien but your still interdimensional wankers"

And frankly where were the Martian Ice warriors?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 15 2009, 9:10 PM GMT

Well, I got what was going on with that, I thought it was pretty clear, but maybe not.

I think I understood what they were trying to get at.

He decides he's the last of the Time Lords, so he can make the rules.

But that's been true for at least four seasons, and I couldn't really see any reason why he'd break the rules this time around. There was no "voice of humanity" companion urging him to "do the right thing", and he didn't seem to especially like Lindsay Duncan or any of her fairly bland underlings.

And the idea that Duncan would top herself immediately upon being saved, based solely on the promise of a future history she'd merely heard about in a story just a few minutes earlier, also didn't seem very believable.

Also, there were some science bits that bugged me.

1 Insects are vital for natural ferilisation of plants and decaying organic matter.

2 Corridors were created over time on Mars from materials already there. There's so many of them to maintain adequate atmosphere. Also the base is obviously the first stage of a larger colonisation program.