Your favourite Royle Family moment

This is my favourite programme of all time and by rights should be everyone else's. There are too many moments I love for me to pick a favourite but I am curious as to the bits everyone else likes.

For me, the moment it ended, I'm afraid. Sorry but I couldn't ever get along with this sitcom, though I did try. I remember sitting through one of them with another person who was wetting himself, and I was wondering if I was watching the same prog as him. I like Ricky Tomlinson and thought he was right for the part but that was about it. I don't think I like Caroline Aherne much so that may be why I found it v hard to watch, but haven't really analysed it. I don't hate it like I do some, but I just found it irritating and not what I personally want from a sitcom. Sorry to get your thread off to a bad start, I'm sure it'll pick back up v quickly. Morning.

It's a boring, obvious answer but Jim and Denise in the bathroom when she's going into labour in the Christmas special was just sublime. Brilliant lines, like when Denise's waters break and Jim says tenderly "Are you sure it wasn't just a great big piss love?"

The music on Denise's birthing tape was a master stroke, Ave Maria made that scene so incredibly moving, you could see Ricky's tears were real. And yet despite the emotion, it was still brilliantly-funny.

Hand on heart, The Royle Family is my favourite comedy of all time. It has everything for me and I doubt it'll ever be bettered. I think maybe it helps if you were brought up in that very working-class "poor" environment and get all the cultural references.

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 6 2009, 3:58 AM GMT

I think maybe it helps if you were brought up in that very working-class "poor" environment and get all the cultural references.

I think this is very true.

I particularly liked it when they had visitors and would act differently and Denise would give them her up and down look.

"Wafer thin ham. Can she have wafer thin ham Barbara?"

When Jim tried to spook Norma over the baby monitor was v funny.

The bit where Jim and Twiggy were doing their dance whilst decorating.

No, hang on. That was f**king cringeworthy and shit. My mistake.

If only they'd have stopped this show after series 2.

I haven't got a favourite moment. I liked the show, sure, but no moments leap out at me. It wasn't really a "moment" show.

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 6 2009, 3:58 AM GMT

I think maybe it helps if you were brought up in that very working-class "poor" environment and get all the cultural references.

What, like the "cultural references" to the TV shows they are watching? Rolling eyes

I don't think you had to have grown up in the 'Four Yorkshiremen' sketch to understand the references at all.

Actually... what cultural references?

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 6 2009, 10:49 AM GMT

Actually... what cultural references?

Well, you know, cheap pants and farting and that.

Personally, I don't feel I need to live in the zoo to be able to understand how the animals behave. Pleased

I know some posh people who wouldn't recognise a thing in The Royle Family. We weren't a 'council house family' like the Royles, but I knew many families like that.

I don't think in a way it's a particular working class sitcom as it is about how family interact and although I come from a more middle class background the family dyanmic is almost exactly the same.

When Dave sang 'You Are My Sunshine' to Baby David

Quote: The Cool Mikado @ November 6 2009, 12:22 PM GMT

When Dave sang 'You Are My Sunshine' to Baby David

Yes, well there's a lot of mawkishness in this show... :(