Viz Comic Page 5

Auberon Waugh called it the greatest piece of modern British literature or something sim.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 1 2009, 11:19 AM BST

Auberon Waugh called it the greatest piece of modern British literature or something sim.

Bron was mostly barking, of course, but good for him if he did.

I reckon in a hundred years time it will be considered on a par with Dickens. Social commentary at its best. I particulary like the Bacons.

Once I got into them I liked quite a lot of the 'Jack Black' mysteries. And the Drunken Bakers is wonderful in its own strange way. Student Grant was good when it started, as was Cockney Wanker.

Oh and Roger Mellie.

Hello good evening and bollocks.

Oddly enough it's f**ktarded brother Poot has returned to Borders.

N.B. have you ever thought what an ace title Viz is?

Quote: sootyj @ November 1 2009, 11:44 PM GMT

N.B. have you ever thought what an ace title Viz is?

Indeed. The guys who originally founded it were no intellectual mugs, of course.

Quote: Griff @ November 1 2009, 11:46 PM GMT

Alan I've been buying Viz every month/bi-month since 1988/1989. It's been an odd kind of life.

A gnomic statement if ever there was one...

Alan Moore knows all that is good in the universe and should be worshiped.

Quote: Griff @ November 1 2009, 11:46 PM GMT

Alan Moore no less is a fan of the Drunken Bakers.

Really? Without wishing to over-estimate it, Drunken Bakers does have an almost existential quality to it.

It made a theologian friend of mine explode with laughter who'd never read Viz before.

Quote: sootyj @ November 1 2009, 11:50 PM GMT

It made a theologian friend of mine explode with laughter who'd never read Viz before.

In a sense it is a cartoon strip version of the purest form of sitcom, one where the protagonists never develop any insight and nothing ever truly changes. Shades of Beckett as well, obviously...

And it's so beautifully drawn. :)

Mrs Brady Old Lady every time !

Prolapses and all !

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I've got my seers on when I should have my lookers on.

:D

It is a comic that operates at times on a level nobody else does. I love those giant how it works centre spreads.

Quote: sootyj @ November 1 2009, 11:59 PM GMT

It is a comic that operates at times on a level nobody else does. I love those giant how it works centre spreads.

There was a brilliant one on how crack cocaine gets from Columbia to Pete Docherty. :D

And there were very good ones on the fire and police service as well.

Quote: Griff @ November 1 2009, 11:59 PM GMT

I quite like some of the weird one-off celebrity strips they do (presumably spoofs of Look-In Comic) like Jimmy Saville's Underwater Owl Hospital. (I think that was Jimmy Saville - someone correct me if you remember different?)

Yep. Every so often they'll stick Elton John in an one-off original strip and it's usually appropriately insulting. :)

Quote: Griff @ November 2 2009, 12:02 AM GMT

And one on how Kylie's Arse works was very funny.

Not seen that one. Must look it up.

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 2 2009, 12:02 AM GMT

Yep. Every so often they'll stick Elton John in an one-off original strip and it's usually appropriately insulting. :)

Those are the Elton's scam ones . . . with all his money he still tries to scam a couple of quid !