Green Wing - It's all over!

So, come now, what did you think?

Good? Bad? What would you have done differently?

Let the debates commence!

*screams and shouts incoherently*

Balloons?!

My First Post!

Just thought I'd say goodbye to one of the best comedies this decade.

I was slightly dissapointed by the ending, but all in all I thought it was a good episode and am sad to see the show go.

Hello Krycek, and welcome! Good to see you've joined in for the fun. :)

I, too, felt a little let down by the ending, but hey - it could have been worse (as the 'alternative' is).

Strikes me that maybe you guys were a bit over excited by the ending when you sent out that newsletter...lots n lots of typos. :P

And yet you all saw it weeks ago. Pffffffffft. ;)

Althought personally I'm a Caroguy, I thought that Caroline and Mac would probably end up together (all be it for a short time and with Guy's permission).

I was rather upset when Alan and Joanna killed themselves.

...But did they?

It's pretty hard to kill yourself, naked, in the softly sloshing summer sea if you can swim a bit...

So can they swim a bit?

Well, it's never mentioned, as far as I know.

Quote: Arpie @ January 5, 2007, 6:04 AM

Strikes me that maybe you guys were a bit over excited by the ending when you sent out that newsletter...lots n lots of typos. :P

Looking back on it in the cold light of day there are a lot of mistakes aren't there! Sorry about that - all of them my fault.

Despite having seen the special a while back I only got around to preparing that newsletter at gone 10pm last night (it's been a busy couple of weeks) hence it was a bit of a rush to get it done in time and that, coupled with the fact I was knackered from a long day and have never been able to spell was indeed a recipe for disaster.

My biggest blunder was forgetting to mention our writers interview - if anyone wants to submit questions to the writers to add them to the other thread in this forum.

Forward planning - I really must learn that! Sorry again.

I thought it was good, i thought there could have been more Michelle Gomez though. I loved Martin's crying when Mac admitted he was dying.

And Mark Heap as Alan Statham is still one of the greatest comedy characters ever.

I always wanted to see Martin get together with Caroline, how awesome would that have been!?

I think my favorite scene from the last episode was when Boyce tried to do his usual Statham routine to the new doctor, hilarious.

Watching the Special was like charting the tragectory of a plummeting grouse - mesmorising, sad and unnecessary.

Compared with any Series 1 or 2 Episode, the Special had a thin script and looked under-rehearsed. What did the opening church scene add? The deceased had departed planet GW long ago and we were never led to believe she'd be back. Good call on her part, to quit while the going was good (and it was previously, very good!)Yes, so we thought it might be Golden Boy's demise, but why spend 20 minutes ... The mime was unintelligible and unfunny.

Taking 'Mel'and 'Cherry' out of the hospital setting with its conventions of correct professional behaviour, made their terminal antics seem less weird. My sympathies are with the sheep.

The admin office debauch looked initially promising, but ran out of steam all too soon. As with Mel and Cherry, they weren't really challenged by anyone, so the madness seemed routine. What happended to the IT guy? Too sharp to get involved in this undistinguished Special ...

Was Sue on tranqs? Far too restrained, although the Squirrel suit interview sketch almost made it.

As to the romantic triangle, Guy flipped back into chavanist mode and Golden Boy scooped the jackpot, at least for a while. His terminal condition: romantus interruptus, presumably.

The wedding scene suffered from high winds and wobbly scenery with no real laughs or quirks to send us away wishing for more.

To market the Special DVD separately is transparent profiteering.

Nail the GW coffin firmly shut... and remember the good times.

Definitely agreed about Lyndon (the IT guy). It was disappointing that there was no sign of him, and no hint of what happened between him and Harriet. Pity.

Quote: Arpie @ January 5, 2007, 6:04 AM

I keep telling him to run these things past me for checking before he sends them out... ;)

I can't decide if I liked the ending to GW or not. I definately didn't like the balloons. I just kind of sat there going "what?! WHAT?!?!?!!!!". I just think some things could have been explained better. (or maybe I'll need to watch it again?!). How did Angela die? And what exactly happened to Karen after she fell out the window? And what about Harriet and Lyndon?

I am happy there was a Caroline/Mac/Guy ending though - you know, she probably ends up with both of them in some shape or form.

Overall - meh... comes to mind. It wasn't anything like it could have been, but some of the bits were still bloody funny (and a couple of other bits also made me cry haha!). So hmm.. a bit of a hit and a miss :( which kinda upsets me, I wish it had been so much better!

I was only teasing bout the newsletter, guys...kudos to you for getting it out so soon after the end of the episode. ^_______^

I thought it was okayish...not classic Green Wing...to be honest as the Christmas specials went, I preferred the Torchwood finale, (och, blasphemy... :P) They probably should have ended it with series two - if they'd used the 'Mac is dying' time to tie up loose ends instead, that would have been preferrable to the special we got...on the other hand, a really good special would have been even better. Perhaps they deliberately left it open because of these plans for a spin off...