What equipment do you use?

I read Okse's post about Johnny Sorrow and starting wondering what everyone was using to make their own movies etc. Hardware and software, and formats etc. Probably a wide range, but what gives acceptable results?

As said on the post I use one of these

http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/MobiDV_H10_Pocket_Camcorder_review_2187-58.html

I bought it to record my stand up but then realised I could mess about and do other stuff with it.

I also use Windows Movie Maker and also use Audacity for audio sketches.

I want to get into Flash but it scares me, anyone know any good tutorials on line?

A camcorder and a prozzie

Quote: Okse @ September 26, 2007, 5:02 PM

As said on the post I use one of these

http://www.webuser.co.uk/products/MobiDV_H10_Pocket_Camcorder_review_2187-58.html

I bought it to record my stand up but then realised I could mess about and do other stuff with it.

I also use Windows Movie Maker and also use Audacity for audio sketches.

I want to get into Flash but it scares me, anyone know any good tutorials on line?

If you search on Google, you'll find a whole stack of Flash tutes.

I used to use Flash, back when it was v.4 or so. You got the best out of it if you knew, or were prepared to learn, ActionScript (not sure if that’s still the scripting language it uses). A right pain if you're not a coder.

I've been using a product called SwishMax for the last couple of years:

http://www.swishzone.com/index.php

It's not quite as flexible as Flash but it allows you to get very creative without the need for any coding. There's a demo... give it a try!

Quote: ajp29 @ September 26, 2007, 7:16 PM

A camcorder and a prozzie

Lol!

I hope Charley doesn't answer this.

we use flash, a sony z1 camera and kit, and are about to purchase the the adobe production creative suite (premiere/ after effects etc). all cost around £8,000 but are able (in theory!) to produce broadcast quality material. I am now a very poor man !

Quote: Nick Rivers @ September 27, 2007, 11:06 AM

we use flash, a sony z1 camera and kit, and are about to purchase the the adobe production creative suite (premiere/ after effects etc). all cost around £8,000 but are able (in theory!) to produce broadcast quality material. I am now a very poor man !

Wow, that's impressive. I've been thinking getting some inexpensive kit myself so I can have a go and edit it on my pc. I'm enjoying the stuff that people from this site are posting in various places.

think windows has free editing software (windows movie maker) which is a great starting point. or you can get a very good mid range editing packge like ulead/ pinnacle for around £60. i've just produced and co-directed my first video viral shoot. budget was small and whilst I tried to scrimp (is that a word) and save where possible - the one area worth spending the extra pennies is on the editor. a good editor is worth their weight in gold! anyway good luck with it!

We started off with Windows Movie Maker but the output resolution isn't that hot so migrated to Premiere Pro. But am not using it to its potential.

Now the bottleneck is the crap Samsung VP D351 camera we use. It rates as awful in most reviews.

We'd die to get our hands on a real broadcast quality camera but are thinking about the Panasonic GS500 (standard definition but rates as excellent image quality) or the Canon HG20 (HD but the codec apparently makes motion look a bit unnatural).

We make our own music using a Delta 1010 8 track sound card and Reason 2 (PC) for the synth sounds.