Oooh! I just did 500 posts !

Happy 500 to me,

Happy 500 to me,

Happy 500 Oldrocker,

Happy 500 to me !

Wave

Congrats geezer. :D

Yay, half a century \O/

Congrats, Oldrocker, you cantankerous old sod! (And long may continue to be so.) ;) :) Wave

Thank you, I thank you !

I have a few words to say .. where's the bloody piece of paper gone? Hang on ...

Ah !

'Unaccustomed as I am to cabbage, washing up liquid, toilet rolls . . WHAT !

Who's been using my speech as a shopping list ?

:O

Cor, now there's an idea for an exciting thread-strarter: What's on your latest shopping list?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 26 2009, 12:36 AM BST

you cantankerous old sod!

Praise from Caesar . . . :D

Quote: catskillz @ October 25 2009, 10:10 PM BST

I thought Big Vern was funny, the way he used to shoot himself in the face, at the end of every strip, because he couldn't bear being sent back to prison. It was sort of like the original "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!" joke.

Vern is still in it, sporadically. I don't think I've ever missed an issue since the early 90s, and if I did I always caught up in the annuals. It's always one of my greatest Chrimbo morning pleasures, opening my virgin Viz annual. Always exciting even though I've read all the strips previously.

Funnily-enough I actually prefer the newer characters to the old ones. The Fat Slags and Sid The Sexist are okay but I far prefer to read the exploits of 8 Ace and Fru T Bunn nowadays. Last issue had a new strip called The McBrowntrouts which literally had me sobbing with laughter in the bath. It was a parody of the old Sunday Post comic strip The Broons and featured Paw McBrowntrout who made a bet with his pal that he could hold his poos in for a week. Viz is still wonderful and I completely refute any suggestions that it used to be funnier in the "old days". That's just silly nostalgia in my view.

If I ever make it onto Mastermind, Viz wll be my chosen subject. I'd piss it.

I stopped buying it cos it wasn't as funny as it used to be. Refute that, sunshine! I mean Lee, not Steve.

Quote: Daddy Maz @ October 25 2009, 11:17 PM BST

As mentioned the top tips, letters and stories were much better than the comic strips, the ad's though could be pretty good too!

I remember the little china doll with a bottle of domestos bleech the "Mummy this lemonade tastes funny" doll for only £12.99

Yeah but who could forget the Elvis Presley Dambusters Clockplate Of Tutenkhamun?

Quote: Badge @ October 26 2009, 1:09 AM BST

I stopped buying it cos it wasn't as funny as it used to be. Refute that, sunshine! I mean Lee, not Steve.

Je refute!

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 26 2009, 1:11 AM BST

Yeah but who could forget the Elvis Presley Dambusters Clockplate Of Tutenkhamun?

Also fun was the commemorative plate depicting the life of Jesus in cat-form. I think the Tutankhamen Dambusters Elvis Clock thing was actually made and sold (years after the initial ad) as was the Christ in Cats plate. And the house of the Fat Slags or Sid the Sexist.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 26 2009, 1:05 AM BST

It was a parody of the old Sunday Post comic strip The Broons and featured Paw McBrowntrout who made a bet with his pal that he could hold his poos in for a week.

Reading your description made me snort with laughter.

I never liked the Drunken Bakers. A total waste of space and most of the other stuff by that artist.

Spoilt Bastard was good.

The Three Chairs was excellent. Really got me hooked on Viz.