Viz Comic Page 2

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 25 2009, 12:16 AM BST

Errr Not the shoes, you know what I mean! :P

Laughing out loud

Haven't seen a print of Viz in years. Remember the animated shows though and they always put me off the whole idea.

Quote: Leevil @ October 25 2009, 10:39 AM BST

Remember the animated shows though and they always put me off the whole idea.

Even Roger Mellie being voiced by Peter Cook? Excellent casting, that.

Especially! :D

I thought Big Vern was funny, the way he used to shoot himself in the face, at the end of every strip, because he couldn't bear being sent back to prison. It was sort of like the original "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!" joke.

Quote: catskillz @ October 25 2009, 10:10 PM BST

It was sort of like the original "Oh my God! They killed Kenny!" joke.

That would have been Bluebottle being routinely killed (or "deaded") in the Goon Show.

Viz was at its best in the late 80s/early 90s, when the Bacons and Sid the Sexist were regular features. It's definitely not as good as it used to be, but I always manage to find a few good laughs in amongst the pages of crappy advertising.

By the way, does anybody remember a strip called the Thieving Gypsy Bastards, which some PC busybodies forced the publishers to apologise for and promise never to publish again, on pain of being prosecuted for incitement to hatred, or something equally stupid? It was very funny. :D

And yet no'one complained about Cockney Wanker.
It's political correctness gone sad.

8 Ace was quite fun.

As mentioned the top tips, letters and stories were much better than the comic strips, the ad's though could be pretty good too!

I remember the little china doll with a bottle of domestos bleech the "Mummy this lemonade tastes funny" doll for only £12.99

Quote: Michael O'Connor @ October 25 2009, 10:49 PM BST

By the way, does anybody remember a strip called the Thieving Gypsy Bastards, which some PC busybodies forced the publishers to apologise for and promise never to publish again, on pain of being prosecuted for incitement to hatred, or something equally stupid? It was very funny. :D

I remember it well. Here's what Wikipedia says about the controversy:
The comic was reprimanded by the United Nations after featuring a strip called 'The Thieving Gypsy Bastards'. During the resulting court case, UK newspaper The Sun ran a story revealing that the principal Roma man who initiated the action against them was in fact also being tried for (and was later found guilty of) handling stolen property. Viz then later ran a short strip called "The Nice, Honest Gypsies", featuring a kindly Gypsy woman selling pegs door-to-door and helpfully returning forgotten change.

Further proof that you cannot believe everything you read on wikipedia. The Thieving Gypsy Bastards appeared on page 3 of Issue 44. The Nice Honest Gypsies appeared on page 4 of Issue 44 (the same issue) and not in a "later" issue.

I seem to remember the apology being surrounded by a dotted line with the words 'Thieving Gypsy Bastards, your very own cut out and keep apology'.

:D

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 25 2009, 11:57 PM BST

I seem to remember the apology being surrounded by a dotted line with the words 'Thieving Gypsy Bastards, your very own cut out and keep apology'.

:D

Yes, that was in Issue 46: 'Gypsies! Here it is at last, Your special cut-out-and-keep Sincere Apology.' The wording of the apology was indeed sincere, looking like it was written by a lawyer. The same issue had the great strip 'The Adventures of Rolf Harris the Cat'.

And in the original wasn't there a council van with something like 'Thieving Gypsy Bastards Liaison Officer' on the side?

Council Gypsy Patronisation Dept.