Viz Comic

I haven't bought it for a while, but I used to get it every month.
Is it a bit underrated, or overrated?

My favourites (apart from the letters) were probably Roger Mellie, Billy the Fish & the Fat Slags.

Overrated, but funny in spats.

OK, I know I'm going to get slagged off by the Illuminati on these forums but I buy it regularly and enjoy it ! Have done for many years.

Particular favourites are Mrs Brady Old Lady, Fat Slags, Top Tips etc.

:D

Quote: Nil Putters @ October 25 2009, 12:07 AM BST

but funny in spats.

Teehee.

I love it but find it too distracting. It's like giving up something you really love but you know isn't doing you any good. So I haven't read it for about 3 years.

Quote: zooo @ October 25 2009, 12:11 AM BST

Teehee.

Errr Not the shoes, you know what I mean! :P

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 25 2009, 12:05 AM BST

I haven't bought it for a while, but I used to get it every month.

My favourites (apart from the letters) were probably Roger Mellie, Billy the Fish & the Fat Slags.

I have every issue from August 1985 to mid-1996, plus various albums. I stopped buying it regularly, partly because it has been filling up with ads for sex chat lines and stupid things to put on mobile phones. Terry F**kwit was a definite favourite of mine.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 25 2009, 12:05 AM BST

Reminds me of one of the letters in there once...

'Dear Sir,

Can you settle a bet? I think 'Viz' has become a bit shit thesedays. However, my mate insists that 'Viz' has always been shit. Which of us is right?'

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 12:18 AM BST

'Dear Sir,

Can you settle a bet? I think 'Viz' has become a bit shit thesedays. However, my mate insists that 'Viz' has always been shit. Which of us is right?'

What was the answer?

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 25 2009, 12:18 AM BST

'Dear Sir,

Has it become a parody of itself these days?

Next time I'm on a long flight I'd definitely get the latest Viz.
I know that it would definitely make me laugh.

ONE ARMED men. If your partner is thinking about getting breast implants, convince her to save money and only get one done.

YOUNG MOTHERS. Calm hysterically crying children in the supermarket by firmly slapping their legs and then tugging them along by the wrist.

:P

In its heyday it was the funniest thing in Britain - film, TV, radio, stand-up, publishing - but when Chris Donald left it lost its heart and soul. I don't read it very often but nowadays it has the occasional gem among a pile of slush that would have been more at home in Viz imitators of the late 80s/early 90s.

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 25 2009, 12:10 AM BST

Top Tips etc.

Lee Henman has had some Top Tips and Letters in Viz, mentioned somewhere on this thread: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/13094

'Letterbox' and 'Top Tips' are always the first things I look at, but the spoof articles and ads are usually pretty good. Not a huge fan of cartoon strips in general, so they're the last thing I'll look at.

For some reason, remember laughing like an idiot at a small ad they had for 'Broadband Milk - Pours Up To 10x Faster Than Ordinary Milk'. :P

My favourite strips include Billy the Fish, The Vibrating Bum-Faced Goats and, unforgettably, Tommy and his Magic Arse.