What to send to companies?? Page 2

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 22 2009, 6:15 PM BST

I think the best thing is to send what they ask for.

Oh, that's the last thing you want to do...

Quote: David Bussell @ October 22 2009, 8:28 PM BST

Oh, that's the last thing you want to do...

Er yeah. Send them an old label from a cat food tin and a used cotton bud. That's what I recommend to any rival writers.

Whatever happened to the friendly, sharing, advice giving site I joined a year ago.

It was rubbish anyway, so I came over here instead.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ October 22 2009, 8:36 PM BST

Whatever happened to the friendly, sharing, advice giving site I joined a year ago.

It was rubbish anyway, so I came over here instead.

--- and what did we get? Multiple avatars, a few silly jokes and a running ''tash' gag. Great.

I live to give.
:D

Laughing out loud

as you can tell there are no hard and fast rules.

you just go for it

Don't write them a letter saying how this has always been your biggest dream and that you're dedicating your entry to the memory of your beloved wife who died of cancer last year (photo attached). That shit only works on X Factor, apparently. :(

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 23 2009, 1:49 AM BST

Don't write them a letter saying how this has always been your biggest dream and that you're dedicating your entry to the memory of your beloved wife who died of cancer last year (photo attached).

Have you been hacking into my e-mails again? Angry

Ok cheers all for your advice. Just another quick question. I'm just about ready to send off. Getting down a list of production companies. most have an address and an e mail address. Is it best to send off your script printed out or via e mail. in books it suggests you send a printed version as they advise you on sending stamped addressed envelopes so they can return them. I would have thought nowadays things wer done via e mails. I no this is prob common knowledge but like I say im new to all this

See the pinned threads on this section giving advice on where to send scripts.

Basic rules are 1) only send to companies who accept unsolicited material (i.e. scripts that haven't come from an agent or recognised associate of the company), 2) follow their submission guidelines - they will say whether they want a full script, the first 10 pages, just a synopsis etc. - and the method of delivery - post/email, and 3) it's fine to ask for confirmation of receipt, either by stamp-addressed postcard/envelope or confirmatory email.

Personally, given the choice of email or hard copy, I would tend to send the hard copy, but that's just me. Mostly I send via email now, but that's only to very specific people who already know me.

You may have to hunt around to find prod companies which still accept unsolicited material. Several that used to, now don't (unfortunately). Worth checking out production details on a wide range of comedy programmes to find names of companies which aren't the "big players" in comedy production, but are involved and will read your stuff.

Good luck. :)

Personally I favour the Tobias Funke method of stuffing an envelope with a head shot and a fistful of glitter.

It's a step in the right direction compared with the days you used to send a "money shot" and a fistful of lard.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ October 22 2009, 8:32 PM BST

Er yeah. Send them an old label from a cat food tin and a used cotton bud. That's what I recommend to any rival writers.

Actually know someone (from these very boards) who accidently sent off there shopping list in with a script, best part of the story is they got feedback on the shopping list (AND an option on the script but the feedback is better).

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 23 2009, 1:58 PM BST

It's a step in the right direction compared with the days you used to send a "money shot" and a fistful of lard.

A Fistful of Lard - isn't that a Shane Meadows film?