The Unbelievable Truth

The new series starts today at 18:30 on Radio 4. The guests tonight are Alan Davies, Simon Evans, Phill Jupitus and Tony Hawks.

I was offered tickets for this. Is it good?

I think so. It's rather like QI in that it mainly involves unusual facts and that it is possible to finish with a negative score. David Mitchell is quite good as the chairman. The show was created by Graeme Garden and Jon Naismith.

This week's show was great. David Mitchell and Graeme Garden were particularly good.

Quote: Nogget @ October 20 2009, 12:02 PM BST

This week's show was great. David Mitchell and Graeme Garden were particularly good.

That's not surprising. Mitchell is great and panel games and Garden created the show.

I've really enjoyed all previous series of this show, and all the episodes thus far. <3 I think it's simply great. I felt last night's episode was the weakest of this current series so far, but that's still a good episode. c:

Listened to this on iPlayer today. Good cast, Reginald D(elicious) Hunter, Rhod Gilbert, Shappi Khorsandi and Adam Hills. Very funny, but a few odd moments; David Mitchell being painfully sexist which I didn't find worked in context and Rhod being uppity to David, who has in the past been very supportive of the Welsh (refer podcast and his rant against Alexander Armstrong on Best of the Worst).

Love British radio comedy, and thank goodness iPlayer radio is available overseas.

Quote: Mennah Francis @ October 27 2009, 4:13 AM BST

David Mitchell being painfully sexist

What bit was that?

Quote: Nogget @ October 27 2009, 5:12 AM BST

What bit was that?

The bits about women drivers and not being able to find anything in their handbags, then he says to the audience "Am I right fellas?" It just seemed odd and painful as if he wasn't terribly happy about saying it. (Doubly odd as he doesn't have a driving licence.)

I am actually David Mitchell's biggest fan, bar none, and this wasn't meant as a criticism, just an observation.

Really enjoying this show, it's a great idea and David Mitchell is doing an admirable job. Graeme Garden really is Mr Radio 4 these days isn't he? He never seems to be off it in one form or another.

I had no idea the iPlayer was available overseas. That makes no sense to me at all.

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 27 2009, 11:37 AM BST

I had no idea the iPlayer was available overseas. That makes no sense to me at all.

Well, the World Service can be heard all around the world, so I suppose that the other stations are put on the iPlayer because there is a market for them. Also, it would cost less to show radio shows than TV shows.

I was really enjoying this show, but suddenly I can't listen anymore. They've gone to some kind of flash upgrade that this poor, old, computer can't handle. Guess my only hope is that someone puts it on You Tube :(

Quote: Ian Wolf @ October 27 2009, 12:24 PM BST

Well, the World Service can be heard all around the world, so I suppose that the other stations are put on the iPlayer because there is a market for them. Also, it would cost less to show radio shows than TV shows.

Sorry, I'm confused - can people overseas access all the BBC iPlayer features and programmes that we can? Because surely that makes zero sense in terms of overseas DVD sales etc? Or am I being completely stupid and missing the point?

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 27 2009, 12:43 PM BST

Sorry, I'm confused - can people overseas access all the BBC iPlayer features and programmes that we can? Because surely that makes zero sense in terms of overseas DVD sales etc? Or am I being completely stupid and missing the point?

Only radio. They cannot access TV (although there are ways to do so).

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 27 2009, 12:43 PM BST

Radio yes, telly no. :)