What are you reading right now? Page 2

Catch 22 is brilliant Skibb and I'd recommend it to anyone.

At the moment I am reading

Me Moir - Vic Reeves autobiography (for the last 8 months)
Just William at Christmas and
Ultimate X-Men issue 85 (definitely NOT for the women in it)

Quote: David Chapman @ September 24, 2007, 9:16 PM

Me Moir - Vic Reeves autobiography (for the last 8 months)

I've been reading that since Christmas too!
Along with Gary Barlow's autobiography, you'll be pleased to hear.

Am also reading this in bed...

It is ace.
Anyone who says I read it out loud to myself while cuddling a teddy bear is lying.

Just William at Christmas

Love Just William, seriously funny. I don't really mind what people think of what I read - but as they were written for adults I know I shouldn't feel embarrassed. Love the one when he explains to his mother that Tigers an' Tamers is a completely different games from Lions an' Tamers.

I probably haven't read William for 40 years now. Since I failed my 11-Plus interview when I mentioned I read William.

There was an interview?

If you weren't quite good enough for Grammar School

If you didn't pass you had a second chance if you were nearly there.

Ohhh. I see. I did the 12 plus, but I didn't remember an interview.
Grammar schools do look unfavourably on William...

I've read Just William to my class but very few children get the humour and many of them find the language difficult. It's sad - it's so rich. I hope I'm wrong in worrying about the next generation being brought up on computer games etc and finding reading so challenging. Sorry if I'm being too serious xx

I think the main problem is the class thing - with the servants and everything - but Aaron could probably identify with that.

I only remember Just William on TV and the very annoying Bonnie Langford character. I'm not sure I could get past this and actually buy one of the books.

Wha am I reading right now? This sentance.

Yes - although the Browns' life in later books was more 'ordinary'. I appreciate that the stories do present an unfamiliar way of life to children now. I just really like William's character and the way he so often ended up in trouble despite his best intentions. Some of the stories were brilliantly plotted.

I've just finished reading 'how to be a sitcom writer, secrets from the inside' by Marc Blake recommended on this site.

Struggling to put together a string of believable characters though, when I base them on people I know in the past that I have issues with it makes my blood boil and I would want them all to die an agonising death on the first page of the sitcom. Doesn't quite lead to longevity though I suppose :P

Quote: David Chapman @ September 24, 2007, 9:16 PM

Catch 22 is brilliant Skibb and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Ditto...loved it! Although i'm a quick reader and i had to really concentrate on this one!

Currently reading Gloriana or, The Unfulfill'd Queen by Michael Moorcock. This one is a bit heavy going, but his books are always worth it.