What are you reading right now?

I feel a distinct lack of any innovation in my reading choices, I just tend to stick to the same authors and wait for their next book to come up.

That being said I am currently readinf 'Soon I will be invincible' which is sort of a comic book told in a novel form.

So tell me what books are people reading \ would they recommend?

i find it hard to find books that i like. i have recently enjoyed...
1. flashman - by george macdonald fraser
2. zombie island - by david wellington - a bit like a zombie film in the form of a novel

if anyone could recommend a genuinely funny book i would be pleased. particularly something a bit surreal.

Just finished the Hobbit and am about to start reading something called Apocalyptic hollow chocolate bunnies (Or something like that) by Robert Rankin who is a very funny man indeed.

Quote: johnny roulette @ September 24, 2007, 9:20 AM

i find it hard to find books that i like. i have recently enjoyed...
1. flashman - by george macdonald fraser
2. zombie island - by david wellington - a bit like a zombie film in the form of a novel

if anyone could recommend a genuinely funny book i would be pleased. particularly something a bit surreal.

i love flashman - i recommend, if you haven't, reading the entire series.

I'm currently dipping in and out of Love All The People by Bill Hicks. Much prefer him in print, as, gasp, shock, horror, i don't really enjoy his stand up. or at least the DVDs of gigs I've seen. ironic as the book is basically a collection of his routines - go figure!

Quote: ShoePie @ September 24, 2007, 10:07 AM

Just finished the Hobbit and am about to start reading something called Apocalyptic hollow chocolate bunnies (Or something like that) by Robert Rankin who is a very funny man indeed.

Love Robert Rankin, he is one of my 'authors' and to be honest I felt that is one of the best of his recent books.

Currently reading:
Big Bang--AJ Desmond
The Joke is Over--Ralph Steadman (About Hunter S. Thompson)
The Complete Dirty Laundry---R. Crumb & Wife & Daughter

Recommended funny & surreal books:
Catch-22--Joseph Heller
Lolita--V. Nabokov
Post Office--Charles Bukowski
The Third Policeman--Flann O'Brien
The Dice Man--Luke Rhinehart
Slaughterhouse-5---Kurt Vonnegut
Cats Cradle---Kurt Vonnegut
The Sirens of Titan---Kurt Vonnegut
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas--Hunter S. Thompson
The Vomit Factory (Life is Fake: Death is Good)--Alexander T. Newport

Quote: Skibbington von Skubber @ September 24, 2007, 10:50 AM

Currently reading:
Big Bang--AJ Desmond
The Joke is Over--Ralph Steadman (About Hunter S. Thompson)
The Complete Dirty Laundry---R. Crumb & Wife & Daughter

How can you have more than one book on the go at any one time? That would confuse me immensely!

Currently reading Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy...pretty good!

I'm working my way through all Stephen Fry's novels.

They are exactly as ace as you would expect.

Just finished Making History, and am starting Hippopotamus.

Rat Pack Confidential.... About Dean Martin, Frankie, Sammy Davis Jnr and the other two... quite a good read actually...

Quote: EllieJP @ September 24, 2007, 1:50 PM

Currently reading Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy...pretty good!

Have you seen the film? If not, don't. Get the TV series though.

And I've always got far too many books on the go. Currently ...

Stephen Smith's Underground London: Travels Beneath the City Streets
See Amazon product listing

Peter Ackroyd's excellent tome, London: The Biography

The Mammoth Book of Pirates, edited by Jon E. Lewis

... and a number of Web development related publications.

The next few on my list include:
The London Compendium: A Street-by-street Exploration of the Hidden Metropolis, edited by Ed Glinert

I Never Knew That About England by Christopher Winn

...and a number of other fine literary works of similar nature. :)

Just read all the Tom Ripley novels - Patricia Highsmith. Compelling, dark, some parts a little far-fetched but, considering their age, have survived well.

I'm re-reading Live Flesh (Ruth Rendell) - love her books, again they are psychological thrillers, really enjoy getting drawn into such disturbing worlds.

Have a broad taste in books. I'm also reading Small Steps/Louis Sacher - sequel to Holes. My son makes me read his favourites, Anthony Horowitz Diamond Brothers are really funny. Loved David Nobbs (ok, ok) Reggie Perrin trilogy and Tom Sharpe, but I don't know if I'd find Sharpe so funny now. I don't think they filmed that well.

Alexander McCall Smith Scotland Street are gentle comedies with some entertaining characters.

Quote: Aaron @ September 24, 2007, 3:07 PM

Have you seen the film? If not, don't. Get the TV series though.

Unfortunatly i have...but i never judge a book by it's poor film representative!

Anthony Kiedis's 'Scar Tissue'...very insightful.

This thread?

>_<