Gibb and Will

This is another little venture I have just started.

These are just short, two minute pieces that I thought of writing, based around bits of dialogue with a view to using just basic animation to carry it. Thought of just making them into short video clips for the net.

You can read the scripts for the first 3 episodes I have written on my site at http://www.tompk.cjb.net/home.htm You'll find the episodes under 'Gibb and Will' suprisingly.

As always I look forward to comments, good and bad, and hope you enjoy it.

I only read the first two as I'm at work but I really liked them, lots of jokes and an amusing style. I preferred them to your sitcom and think they would make some good shorts.

The slow pace would probably suit very detailed squiggly hand drawn animation though, with lots of movement, which is a bummer. If the animations too basic it might not feel lively enough. Pauses in animation seem twice as long.

Hi Tom,

I found all three of these fairly whimsical and could see them working with animation as possible inserts in another show.

I thought the scripts were amusing but not hilarious, although I felt that this wasn't a bad thing as the dialogue seemed to fit the visualisation of the characters that I'd created in my own head.

I Would be interested to see the animated versions if you get them together.

B

Thanks for loking guys. ShoePie, I definately agree with the hand drawn idea, it's what I had in my head. I also agree with the need for a lot of movement, when I said basic, I meant that I didn't see it being as polished as a mainsteen cartoon that's all.

I'd need to find someone who could animate for me if I was going to progress with this. I'll have a look around but not really sure where to start.

Thanks for looking

If you think about it, there's not a lot to animate. All you have is two talking heads or rabbits or whatever. Nice fluid dialogue, but no events of any kind. It's more a Pete'n'Dud or Smith'n'Jones sort of scenario. Made me think of Robert Crumb too. The animation would have to be f***ing incredible to carry it off.

have you got some ideas of what they should look like? if you want me to have a go animating it I could do, not promising u advent children here but you know? Have to be 3d though I'm afraid got no software for 2D

Tom, Very much enjoy them could be just the thing to get yourself a name before starting anything more ambitious.

Would it work as a south park style simple face with moving mouth, there has to be a pc program out there to create simple animation like that.

Good luck

toonboom, flash there are some built in animators into photoshop and paintshop pro all depends on the style

I use Moho by lostmarble.com, which rocks. I haven't tried ToonBoom but it looks similar.

What 3D software do you use Gavin? I've done some stuff with Blender before.

Yeah I know there's not going to be a lot to animate, but I think it's about the dialogue here. If you've ever seen something like Salad Fingers (I find it too creepy to watch frequently) there isn't a lot going on, it's more about the dialogue. I don't think I'm looking for impressive animation, in fact I'm not sure impressive animations would fit the overall feel.

I use 3d Studio max and just learning Maya, used to use Lightwave in days of the amiga, Toonboom is a serious piece of kit they do alot of anime in it....Ok getting seriously off topic Should do it pal make it rough and ready if you have to Nothing better then getting your script into characters mouth :D

Really liked 1 and 2, and 3, I thought, needed a bit of tightening but still made me laugh in places. I was picturing two kids lounging on the bench on a sunny afternoon, nothing to do but waste the day with pointless debate. Excellent.

Think you got the image I had in my head spot on there....Except in a park. That's what I'd go for.

Quote: Tom Pk @ January 4, 2007, 9:55 AM

Think you got the image I had in my head spot on there....Except in a park. That's what I'd go for.

Yep, definitely in a park.

I would go out a take a picture of an empty bench then animate two simple figures (in the south park style)on top with just the mouths moving, the size of the mouths could extend beyond the face to emphasize it, add in a few eye blinks and the odd turn of the head and you have a simple to make animation which complements these excellent scripts.

As you’ve said yourself you don’t want to distract from the word, the voices are as, if not more important than the pictures.

Good luck with it Tom look forward to the finished results

Barry