Time Trumpet

I've been watching this programme for the last few weeks now and I love it!

It's pure genius... one of the few programmes where I laugh at more than 90% of the jokes/humour.

Some favourite moments so far:

Tesco declares war on Denmark
The girl with the voice of Boris Johnson
The man who is a foot
No news on the news
David Beckham with a vaginal implant on his arm
Jamie Oliver's talking meat

and so much more!

Armando Iannucci - I salute you. :D :) :D

Yeah, some of it is very good. The interview bits though, for the most-part those are just plain unfunny.

I dunno, some of the interview bits are funny. Like when they were on about the War on Terror,

"you'd go into a shop and buy a newspaper, get your change and say, Thanks, muslims are nice"

That jamie Oliver meat had me in stitches.

I think the interview bits are a good satire of recent 'I love the <insert decade>'s and top 10/50/100 list shows.

The bits with aged "celebrities" of today (David Beckham, Tim Henman, etc.) are funny, but the ones with the comedians pretending to be celebrities in the future (or at least that's what I'm assuming they're doing) are just plain annoying.

I like some of those ones. Richard Ayoade, Adam Buxton and Stewart Lee's are funny. The rest it could do without though.

The buildings falling on the planes and the jet flying through Big Ben were fantastic. Better effects than in new Doctor Who!

Yeah, there are some good effects in it. I reckon there might be one or two complaints about about that plane flying into Big Ben, or the terroists flying buildings into planes.

Quote: zooo @ August 25, 2006, 2:43 AM

I like some of those ones. Richard Ayoade, Adam Buxton and Stewart Lee's are funny.

Those are the worst for me. Just cringe-inducingly painful. :(

Really? But Adam's wearing special glasses and everything! :)

A lot of the other futuristic interviewees, I just don't know who they are. But maybe Ianucci did that on purpose - to be more like the real talking heads shows...

Do their names not come up on screen? I thought that they did... Oh well. Either way, I still find the other bits insufferable.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, Aaron. :)

Personally, I think the talking heads are a good critique of the production of the 'I love the <insert decade>'s ' programmes. They do all sound the same and you can just imagine the producers/interviewers saying stuff like... 'can you say this, rather than that because it'll look better for the show'.

I forgot the building into planes joke :D

Loved the Tesco declares war on denmark, and the girl witht he vocie of Boris Johnson. When i first saw it i thought it was real, but that's only because it was an advert. heh

If you like Time Trumpet then I'd highly recommend Don't Watch That, Watch This. It's being repeated late nights on BBC4 at the moment - It's like Time Trumpet but all about the editing rather than talking heads etc (e.g. a clever edit of David Davis' boring speach to the Conversative conference cut up so that it appears he's promoting drink, drugs and driving cars off the end of Brighton Peer).

Talking of late night BBC4 - if you like biting comedy do try and catch Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe if you haven't already. It's like that grumpy old men programme but with swearwords, funny metaphors, clever similes and no-nonsense bitching.

I second Mark's suggestion of 'Don't Watch That, Watch this' - top quality programme.

I'm really enjoying the show. One of my favourite bits is the elederly Tom Cruise talking nonsense like "I've read every book ever written".