Yes Minister Page 4

Correct.

Quote: Kenneth @ April 11 2009, 11:56 PM BST

Studio audience, not laugh-track, I think.

Ohh thanks for that.

A lot easier to forgive the general public than the makers of the show for it.

I loved this show. The transition from Minister to Prime Minister was very good. Very well done and an excellent way of moving it all on a bit; nicely twisting the dynamic a little.

There is a new book about Yes Minister coming out called The Yes Minister Miscellany.

Amazon Play.com

Quote: Aaron @ March 24 2009, 10:18 PM BST

Blimey. No, beyond the slight intellectual level inherent with the setting, it's not stuffy in the slightest. Very accessible IMO. It's essentially the struggle between someone who has power, and someone who has very little power but thinks that he should - which is another pretty universal premise really.

Anyway, if you're only one episode in, you have a real treat ahead of you. :)

I met a bloke about 10 years ago who wrote press releases for BBC's international sales department who told me it was one of their most widely distributed programmes because everyone around the world understood political manoeuvring and corruption.

Another great facet of the writing was the change in the power balance as Hacker learned the ropes and became wiser to Humphrey's weasel ways.

Even compared with the brilliant and more contemporary the Thick of It, Yes Minister/PM has lost none of its verve or relevancy and continues to keeps being vindicated. For example banking executives after last year's collapse managed to sound dead ringers for Sir Humphrey's hapless pal Sir Desmond Glazebook (Richard Vernon), who ran some grand financial institution but understood nothing, including any of the figures in the FT he carried around for show.

I'm not sure if it's been asked already but was there a US version of this show? I have a very vague idea there was, but wondered if it was any good or not. I know the Americans liked our version, so surely they bought rights and had a go at their own?

I don't think there has been.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 20 2009, 7:45 PM BST

I'm not sure if it's been asked already but was there a US version of this show? I have a very vague idea there was, but wondered if it was any good or not. I know the Americans liked our version, so surely they bought rights and had a go at their own?

Not impossible that it wasn't piloted, but I've never read of a broadcast one.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 20 2009, 7:45 PM BST

God, I hope not !

Not sure if his death has been mentioned yet, but Ludovic Kennedy deserves a mention in this thread. He played himself in a number of episodes, and was referred to as "Ludo" by Jim Hacker.

After Steptoe, 'Allo 'Allo! and Porridge on the stage, next is Yes, Prime Minister, with some interesting casting for the Thick Of It fans:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-features/7258497/Yes-Prime-Minister-on-stage.html

Quote: john lucas 101 @ February 18 2010, 2:32 PM GMT

After Steptoe, 'Allo 'Allo! and Porridge on the stage, next is Yes, Prime Minister, with some interesting casting for the Thick Of It fans: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/theatre-features/7258497/Yes-Prime-Minister-on-stage.html

F**k me, they look old! The show lends itself to the stage, although it would be interesting to see how it stands up in today's more brutal post Thick Of It world. David Haig would be good, though.

The Thick of It is going to be an elephant in the room which will make this a tricky venture but I hope they pull this off as it is still one of the finest sit-coms ever.

The New Statesman worked well, although that did have the luxury of the original cast.

I look forward to booking my tickets.

Quote: youngian @ February 18 2010, 3:14 PM GMT

elephant in the room

Ner ner ner ner ner ner

Alert !

Silly management speak !

Time to think outside the box and gather some low hanging fruit because we are where we are !