Comedy Records Page 3

Quote: david carmon @ October 2 2009, 7:22 AM BST

I was :) I meant it as in it was way back in 1991 and I remember it. I might have only been 7 but still!- It makes me feel ancient

Whereas it makes me feel young. It was "way back" in 1993, New Year's Eve, and that song started playing at a crappy pub in Shepherd's Bush, prompting me to pause from stealing unattended pints and hit the dancefloor, where I encountered a ravishing girl (named Sue) dancing with equal enthusiasm. We then went outside and found a sort-of park, before I took her back to my luxurious residence in Kensal Green. The following day I walked her to the tube and never saw her again. Oh for the days before everyone had mobile phones.

Ed Stewart used to play a lot of those comedy records on his children show right into the 70s. Tommy Cooper's Don't jump off the Roof Dad and Terry Scott's My Brother stick in my mind.
Roundabout the same time was a popular spoof of the country song King of the Road called King of the Cops which featured a load of really bad Mike Yarwood level impressions of cops of the day like Columbo and Kojak. Anyone know who was responsible for this?

Graham Fellowes is a masterful comedy song writer and almost anything by John Shuttelworth is worth listening too.
Any ex-Bonzos are worth catching Neil Innes, serialised his songs on TV in the Innes Book of Records while Vivan Stanshall's Sir Henry at Rawlinson's End is a legendary piece of work.

Quote: youngian @ October 2 2009, 10:31 AM BST

Ed Stewart used to play a lot of those comedy records on his children show right into the 70s.

Endlessly playing us Camp Grenada, with the lyrics

"And the head coach wants no sissies
So he reads to us from something called Ulysses."

How many children would understand that reference?

Roundabout the same time was a popular spoof of the country song King of the Road called King of the Cops which featured a load of really bad Mike Yarwood level impressions of cops of the day like Columbo and Kojak. Anyone know who was responsible for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyEn2rEmYc

On a not particularly interesting off topic related note, Dizzy killed The Wonderstuff. Turned them into a comedy band. Plus they became like the Levellers (fiddles, hairy, dirty, hanging around Greenham Common). And my girlfriend's sister went out briefly with Miles Hunt. Apparently the rhyming slang was true.

Quote: Marc P @ October 2 2009, 10:41 AM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JyEn2rEmYc

:D Thanks for that, his Columbo actually sounds and looks more like Al Pacino.

I have all of William Shatner's attempts at singing and they are funnier than most of my other comedy albums. My favourite is a blooper album of the Armed Forces radio broadcasts during WWII. Nothing like hearing Jimmy Durante or Lana Turner drop the f-bomb on live radio.

And of course the amazing Allan Sherman. :D

Clive Dunn - Grandad

I've got loads of old comedy records, as I used to use them when I'd enter Scratch DJ competitions. My favourites were the Jackie Mason records, because his voice just sounded so good, especially if I was using it to insult another DJ, in a head-to-head "Battle".

Richard Pryor records were also good. Pryor must surely be the only celeb in the history of entertainment who somehow managed to record/release records which contained such stories as the time he got his dick sucked in prison (by another prisoner), whilst also presenting his own children's show on T.V. ('Pryor's Place') at the same time.

Quote: Clockface @ October 1 2009, 1:18 PM BST

Gordon is a Moron - Jilted John.

The song was called Jilted John by Jilted John.

Graham Fellowes is a masterful comedy song writer and almost anything by John Shuttelworth is worth listening too.

He was of vcourse Jilted John.

Puzzled that no-one's mentioned 'Candle in the Wind' by Elton John.

Pleased

Quote: Clockface @ October 1 2009, 1:18 PM BST

Gordon is a Moron - Jilted John.

AKA John Shuttleworth, fact fans.

But anyway, I still have a very scratchy (and quite racist Laughing out loud ) "My Boomerang Won't Come Back" by Charlie Drake somewhere.

Quote: Chappers @ October 3 2009, 12:46 AM BST

He was of vcourse Jilted John.

note to self - read threads before posting

Quote: Chappers @ October 3 2009, 12:46 AM BST

You'd think I'd remember that being called John and having had kids tease me at school about it when I was 8. See also Alexei Sayle's 'Hello John. Got a new motor?'

Quote: Lee Henman @ October 3 2009, 2:36 AM BST

AKA John Shuttleworth, fact fans.

Indeed he is/was. One of only two act/bands I saw live where I went on my own. The other being The Fall. There's a connection there somewhere.

I liked the mermaid song in last week's How Not To Live Your Life.

Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band - Canyons Of Your Mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcZ4s9cvpw