Comedy courses / workshops Page 3

I am currently on Chris Head's stand up course and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone.
Its educational, encouraging, analytical and above all, a fun night out each week- never a dull moment. Chris is honest, direct and truly inspiring. The format of the course is progressive and motivating and guaranteed to bring out the latent comedian in us all in the best possible way.

Tina

I took Tina's advice and signed up for Chris Head's course last night. Great stuff - really looking forward to next Wednesday. I even met a fellow BSGer there, Angie Baby, who I forsee great things for.

Simon and Declan here. We organised the 2009 Sitcom Trials at the Leicester Square Theatre. Our winner is in talks with the BBC and has been offered a place with a top agency. More news when we have it.

Meanwhile our next 'How to get into the Yes pile' workshop will be on June 27th. Feedback from previous workshops has been mixed; very good and brilliant. We still have places available for the workshop so contact us through the every1sacritic.com website if you would like to come.

S & D

I've booked so will see any of you lot there if you're going.

Dan

Anyone wanting to learn Stand-Up...
If you're based in the North or the Midlands, Marc Blake will be running his one-day course on the opening day of the Halifax Comedy Festival (Saturday 25th July). As most of you will know...this is the course that launched Catherine Tate!
Afterwards, the fabulous Comedy Promoter from www.urbancomedy.co.uk (me) will be explaing how to get work.
The day includes lunch so, all-in-all, £49 well spent!
There are only about 20 places so I suggest you get your name down ASAP

Ring Victoria Theatre, Halifax, Yorkshire 014 2235 1156 and ask when they will be accepting bookings.

See you there.

Just started Chris Heads Radio Sketch show workshop.
Hopefully it will help me knuckle down a bit & get writing.
It should be quite fun in any case.

Steve - you should try standup. You've got some good jokes.

Cheers Stan.
I did it a few(3) times about 10 year ago.
I have been tempted to try again, my missus did the Chris Head standup course & a few gigs recently.
But It would only be for a bit of fun.
I'm under no illusions about how hard you have to work to get anywhere with stand up. I'm a bit too old for that so I'm trying my hand at sketch writing these days.
:)

I am guessing this has probably been mentioned but basic screenwriting courses IMO are the best way to start. I do an MA in screenwriting and I found it has really helped me, although in truth a lot of teachers were absolute dicks who couldn't stand individuality.
Though I do think Marc Blakes workshops are also brilliant and he's not a dick.

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ October 1 2009, 10:25 PM BST

I am guessing this has probably been mentioned but basic screenwriting courses IMO are the best way to start. I do an MA in screenwriting and I found it has really helped me, although in truth a lot of teachers were absolute dicks who couldn't stand individuality.
Though I do think Marc Blakes workshops are also brilliant and he's not a dick.

Where are you doing this MA and how do you feel it is helping you?

Quote: Marc P @ October 1 2009, 11:18 PM BST

What is this Marc, a f**king job interview...?

Quote: Marc P @ October 1 2009, 11:18 PM BST

It was at Liverpool John Moores, and it was actually creative writing not screenwriting. The teachers soon took a dislike to me. I know this affected their critiquing of my work (other people with more industry knowledge gave me more postive feedback). However, this made me able to cope with criticism a lot easier and made me get used to standing on my own two feet and realising I had to judge my writing and not rely on the oppinion of others. It didn't help me as I had hoped but nontheless it was pretty useful.

However, I here the MA at Salford is brilliant.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 2 2009, 12:23 AM BST

What is this Marc, a f**king job interview...?

Might be.

Huh?

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ October 2 2009, 12:36 AM BST

It was at Liverpool John Moores, and it was actually creative writing not screenwriting. The teachers soon took a dislike to me. I know this affected their critiquing of my work (other people with more industry knowledge gave me more postive feedback). However, this made me able to cope with criticism a lot easier and made me get used to standing on my own two feet and realising I had to judge my writing and not rely on the oppinion of others. It didn't help me as I had hoped but nontheless it was pretty useful.

There's an enormous lot of creative writing/media/screenwriting courses now, I guess it's the luck of the draw who you get tutoring on them.

Quote: Marc P @ October 2 2009, 8:09 AM BST

Might be.

Huh?

:P ;)

Quote: Ronnie Anderson @ October 2 2009, 12:36 AM BST

Same one as Jude I think.