Political comedy - opinions WANTED for phd Page 2

Quote: Jane P @ September 11 2009, 9:01 AM BST

At the moment it's a bit like a girl asking her boyfriend "What are you thinking?" and getting a blank stare.

I generally reply I was thinking your bum looks a bit big in those.

But on topic I agree with Jane. What is the thrust of your thesis, or of this particular chapter?

Rhubarb - just read it! Apols for the delay - I was thoroughly disgusted and passed it on to the vice squad... She's an elderly woman now, you know?

Quote: Marc P @ September 15 2009, 3:53 PM BST

But on topic I agree with Jane. What is the thrust of your thesis, or of this particular chapter?

The origins of my thesis is quite parochial to television studies; no-one's written anything lengthy about political comedy before, so I'm blazing a trail! (OT: The point of a PhD - Earth to bigfella! - is not to change the world but just prove to a university that you have some intelligence and the commitment to become a lecturer. A walkabout with books.)

Anyway, the reason I posted here is because I want to look at how audiences react to the combination 'politics' and 'comedy'. So for example, loads of people write about Yes Minister being 'true' and 'accurate' - and some people say the same thing about The New Statesman. They're both clearly really different, so I'm looking at the way in which people support their interpretation and then making some hypotheses about how people 'read' political comedy.

Have I obfuscated enough? :)

Quote: Maettc @ September 15 2009, 6:00 PM BST

Rhubarb - just read it! Apols for the delay - I was thoroughly disgusted and passed it on to the vice squad... She's an elderly woman now, you know?

The origins of my thesis is quite parochial to television studies; no-one's written anything lengthy about political comedy before, so I'm blazing a trail! (OT: The point of a PhD - Earth to bigfella! - is not to change the world but just prove to a university that you have some intelligence and the commitment to become a lecturer. A walkabout with books.)

:)

who wants to change the world anyway?