Need new British comedy to watch, please help Page 2

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 12:38 AM BST

We should never backed down over Suez in '56, of course... *puffs on pipe* Unimpressed

Damn Fuzzie Wuzzies !

Angry

They don't like it up 'em.

Former colony we may be, but you Limies must agree we are the epicenter of comedy....

BTW I've seen a few episodes of Lead Balloon. It was funny but I could not remember the name.... Going to check out the rest of Series 1. Thanks! Laughing out loud

Quote: jim suckit @ September 15 2009, 1:25 AM BST

Former colony we may be, but you Limies must agree we are the epicenter of comedy....

As you say: ...

Quote: jim suckit @ September 15 2009, 1:25 AM BST

Yes, but we never gave Tracey Ullman her own show. Pleased

(*Googles to check that we didn't* Phew!)

But didn't you guys let her sing????

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 1:30 AM BST

Yes, but we never gave Tracey Ullman her own show. Pleased

(*Googles to check that we didn't* Phew!)

My sincerest apologies for Tracy Ullman (Even though it was responsible for launching The Simpsons.)

I'd like an apology from you in the UK for Ainsley Harriott

Downloading I'm Alan Partridge now----looks promising Pleased

Quote: jim suckit @ September 15 2009, 1:32 AM BST

My sincerest apologies for Tracy Ullman (Even though it was responsible for launching The Simpsons.)

We spawned her. :( We tried to make sure she could only perform with Lenny Henry and (not the) David Copperfield in Three Of A Kind but she escaped and ran off to the US. (She also did Girls On Top with Dawn French and Ruby Wax.... Ruby Wax? Now you do owe us an apology for her.)

I'd like an apology from you in the UK for Ainsley Harriott

Fair enough.

Downloading I'm Alan Partridge now----looks promising Pleased

"Lovely stuff!" :)

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 15 2009, 1:32 AM BST

But didn't you guys let her sing????

Yes, but you lot encouraged her to sing.

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 1:38 AM BST

We spawned her. :( We tried to make sure she could only perform with Lenny Henry and (not the) David Copperfield in Three Of A Kind but she escaped and ran off to the US. (She also did Girls On Top with Dawn French and Ruby Wax.... Ruby Wax? Now you do owe us an apology for her.)

Honestly I had no idea who Ruby Wax was until I just searched around....

As a citizen of the US I'm embarrassed. However she never gained notoriety over here.

'Outnumbered', obviously

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 15 2009, 1:38 AM BST

She also did Girls On Top with Dawn French and Ruby Wax....

I liked Three Of A Kind, but f**k! Girls On Top was an absolute abortion of a show.

(Ullman was only in Series 1 IIRC, as she made the move to America before the second went into production.)

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 15 2009, 12:35 PM BST

'Outnumbered', obviously

Ah! Of course! :)

And The IT Crowd. Yes. Good shows.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 14 2009, 11:24 PM BST

My Catholic grandma, so there!

Damn! Though I don't think I've met her. Unless she has a blue rinse, then I may have walked past her once. Does your grandma have a blue rinse??

If you love Peep Show I'd suggest The Inbetweeners. It's a similar sort of humour.

Quote: jim suckit @ September 15 2009, 4:25 AM GMT

Hahahaha - I hope you were being ironic there...

I have certainly enjoyed plenty of US sitcoms - "Arrested Development", "Cybill", "High Society", Roseanne", "The Golden Girls", "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Frasier" spring to mind. .
The US certainly makes plenty of comedies... whether or not many of them are THAT funny... well...
The English have it all over them in their ability to write something that is sharp, witty and unsentimental. You obviously need more convincing.
I suggest: Absolutely Fabulous
Blackadder
The Mighty Boosh
Clatterford
The Young Ones
Bottom
The Life and Times of Vivienne Vyle
The New Statesman
The Vicar of Dibley.

For a start! ;)

I read in a 'reputable' newspaper (ie: not a red-top) that Tracey Ullman not only quit the UK to marry a rich Yank (or somebody rich), but she also went on to amass a personal fortune of $75 million (and counting) on the grounds that she accepted a cut of all future Simpsons profits by screening clips on her show in the (then) unlikely event of the animation becoming a worldwide smash-hit.

Nobody else would touch The Simpsons with a barge-pole in the early, unknown days, and Groening & co. were pretty keen to get much-needed publicity... it looks like it was a very lucrative business move for our Trace.