Best Two Ronnies Sketch

Probably my most favourite is the ice-cream parlour sketch from 1977, or thereabouts.

Does anyone else have the same opinion?

"You must have Salt and vinegar"
The Ice cream parlour is very funny and it's interesting how interchangeable Monty Python and Two Ronnies shop sketches are although one was considered off the wall and surreal while the Ronnies were supposed to be family mainstream comedy .

It's not surprising of course as they all wrote and/or preformed together on 60s shows like the Frost Report.

My favourite is the Rook Restaurant with Barker as a miserable short tempered waiter and Corbett and the accommodating customers running out of patience.

Remember seeing a good one where Ronnie Corbett was dressed like Rupert The Bear and spoke in the couplet style used in the Rupert annuals, or one where they're both hard of hearing and say 'pardon' a lot. Bit un-PC now.

It's Mastermind for me.

The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town.

Ronnie C dressed as some Arabian cloaked prince type in Ronnie B's grocer's shop.
General confusion as to their various pronunciations of the same things. Verrrrrrry funny.

The Two Ronnies wasn't a sitcom! Moving thread...

Four Candles is hard to beat despite its poor ending. V. clever stuff.

Rook is a favourite as is the one with the racing pigeon that's a duck. Written by John Sullivan if memory serves.

Quote: Tuumble @ September 3 2009, 11:06 PM BST

Four Candles is hard to beat despite its poor ending. V. clever stuff.

Have to agree. Fantastically-funny, clever sketch with a disappointing ending. Apparently the original hand-written sketch sold for 50 grand at auction a few years ago. Crazy.

Four Candles and Mastermind are true classics but I'll go for Your Nuts, My Lord. Or maybe The Rook restaurant one.

I always liked Ronnie C's monologues the best, which isn't really the question I know. They were awful and brilliant at the same time. I think just for Ronnie B's performance, 'The Rook' would win my vote for best sketch.

Quote: Badge @ September 3 2009, 10:29 PM BST

It's Mastermind for me.

Hi, Badge! I agree :)

"This isn't the place to come to if you don't like rook".

"This isn't the place to come to if you DO like rook."

Laughing out loud

I'd go with the Mastermind sketch (David Renwick?), although I have very fond memories of the zillions of dinner party sketches they did. And The Worm That Turned is worth a mention too, although not necessarily for comedy reasons. :$