Big Banding Together Idea Page 2

you sound as if you have alot of people but if you need anymore count me in

great to have you all on board.
scott, it'd be cool if we had your webpage set up too - more exposure!

okay, i'll upload a script this evening if I've got time, if not in the morning.
come on everyone, put your scripts/sketches up.
there's a message board on the group site which we can use to criticise/communicate etc

job

I think I've joined as 9th member, same handle as here, will check again tomorrow and try to dig out some contributions.

Scott - nice idea. If there's enough interest we could extend our own writers directory code to allow for uploads of such material - visitors could then view your work via your profile and/or go in via a seperate 'material library' which lists all the uploaded material in one place.

The advantages I see of doing it via the BSG rather than a Yahoo group or other website is that we already have a number of industry figures (particularly from C4) visiting the website and directory and also an established (and growing) user base.

The disadvantage is that it probably won't be possible for us to add the required functionality till April/May time as we are concentrating on launching our new content management system first. Also you might not want to use this website for uploading scripts - I dunno.

If we get enough interest from you guys we'll add the code as soon as we can but we'll only do so if you think it really is the best solution - if the Yahoo group or some other website is prefered we'll happily support that.

I'd be interested in having a material library on the BSG (that's one vote!). Maybe it could also host (with permission of course! :) ) scripts from TV shows as examples.

The Yahoo group could be useful as a temporary solution to generate interest and gather users from other message boards to one place. The downside to the Yahoo group is that it's another website to check and i'd probably still want to post stuff here too so I'd be posting twice.

The Shoeman

P.S. Also what happened to the "Threads updated today" link on the forum.

I'm not too up on the technicalities of these things but I feel that I would be interested in supporting something of this nature.

I suppose preferably contained within this site itself. As Shoe says; it would be another site to check were it to be ‘hosted’ elsewhere. However that’s not to say I would not support that route too, were it the only way short-term.

I feel a future in politics beckoning

Quote: ShoePie @ December 31, 2006, 11:45 AM

P.S. Also what happened to the "Threads updated today" link on the forum.

It's now called "Active Threads" and can be found on the top line just under "Forums" of The British Sitcom Forums

I think it would be a good idea for this site to host material, rather than a yahoo thing, as this is more high profile and so its much more likely that industry people would take a look.

By the way, is it just me who can't read any of the material people have put in the files section?
It's probably my computer being bobbins.

I think BSG hosting the material would be the perfect solution, for the reasons that Mark mentioned about industry figures checking regularly.

I started noodling around with a website, though, and I've become quite taken with it. I think in the long-term it couldn't hurt to have such a thing, and of course I'd mention it frequently and shamelessly on BSG to ensure that any production bods were drawn to it! ;)

Yup, I'd go for the 'BSG-hosting-it' preference too, its where it better belongs and one less forum for me to trawl through to see what's new!!
Mike

Basically I think it's better that what goes on in BSG stays in BSG. To me it makes perfect sense but at the end of the day, speaking as a relatively new kid on the block, I'll fit in with however it ends up.

OK... sounds like it's worth us adding in a media upload facility at some point then. Glad to hear it would be of interest.

As mentioned above I'm concentrating on getting our new sitcom / actor details content management system up and running first but we'll then start looking into this idea.

Happy to support anything like this. Will check out the Yahoo group now. Not that I know what one is. And to think, my new years resolution was to write more, utilising the time I've recently spent on the BSG forum. Doughhh.

All for doing it on here, if only so there is an easier way to link an actual file/document to a direct feedback forum. This is difficult to do an a more generic platform such as yahoo but, given that you technical guys thankfully talk to us directly, you may be able to sort something more bespoke out for us!

Thanks

Dan