A Bucket of French & Saunders

(I know as I type this that some people here hate one, the other or both, but frankly I don't care - for those of us who do like them, I shall continue...)

So, a new series mixing old sketches with new. An interesting idea and it may prove how time has affected them.
I was a huge fan during the first four series but I found series five lacking (I expect this is due to the fact that they weren't writing it all - Mel and Sue had their hand in it and frankly, they aren't up to par!)
Series six never aired out here in Australia (not on terrestrial TV anyway) and I only have the DVD of best bits to go by and to be honest, it wasn't all that good - nice moments here and there, but nothing compared to their zenith around series three.

(see, I do love them, but am aware of faults - it's not all adoration from me!)

I enjoyed series three because their choices for film parodies were clever and incredibly accurate (Just watch 'Whatever Happened to Baby Dawn?' for proof) whereas in later years they were picking popularist films to suit a mass market audience and the jokes were far and few between (the Batman one was almost embarrassing!)

'Misery' and the Ingmar Bergman spoof from series four were both superb and their 'Titanic' and 'Lord of the Rings' were examples of their genius. It's just a shame this sort of thing could not be seen more often.

Other than their movie spoofs, I always enjoyed their dialogues in the living room or kitchen and Jennifer's 'character Turban', their pop-videos for Dickens' Daughters and Bjork amongst others.

Let's hope their latest offering highlights these wonderful moments of series' past.

OK, ramble over.
Bye

"I have no 'E' on my typewriter!"
"Use an 'A'!"

They can't hardly celebrate twenty years at the BBC when they didn't do anything between 1996 and 2004. I've looked it up and there's another gap between series. So if you add it up, out of those twenty years they haven't done anything together for ten of them!

It's like when Dibley came back in 2004 and depsite having done nothing in five years, tried to convince us it had been on for ten whole years!

I love them and I will be watching it. And praying that it's ace.

Aside from VoD, I've never really liked either of them, much less that wrist-slittingly-bad series a year or two back. God that was awful.

Quote: Aaron @ August 31, 2007, 7:44 PM

Aside from VoD, I've never really liked either of them, much less that wrist-slittingly-bad series a year or two back. God that was awful.

Same here, Aaron. I only ever watched Dibley.

I also like F&S.
Very talented ladies.

They really are. Any of you that haven't watched all their earlier shows in the 80s and 90s have really missed out.

Jennifer Saunders was my first crush. Looking a bit pasty now so I've switched to Melanie C.
French and Saunders were always quality, always clever etc but you never actually pooed yourself laughing. I liked the fat ugly blokes, can't think why.

I was just thinking. It would have to be one HUGE f**koff bucket to fit them two in.
Fankoo for your time.
Cheerios. (Best cereal ever)

Why oh why was Dawn French wearing a shirt saying "20 Years of F&S"? The show has been on air for TEN years and off air for TEN years!

I thought I liked F&S, but watching this I did not laugh, I thought some of it was nice to see, but still, no exhaling of air rapidly from me on this.

Joanna Lumley was quite good, I like her, still didn't laugh though.

I just didn't "get" Lumley's bits. I mean, what was funny there? Some of the sketches themselves were vaguely amusing, but ditto Lee really. Not a lol show.

Quote: Leevil @ September 9, 2007, 5:52 PM

I thought I liked F&S, but watching this I did not laugh, I thought some of it was nice to see, but still, no exhaling of air rapidly from me on this.

Joanna Lumley was quite good, I like her, still didn't laugh though.

Agreed Lee, I’m sure I used to like F&S but the last few shows have been dire and this just showed that even the old shows weren’t up to much perhaps it’s us we must have changed.

Joanna Lumley attempt at comedy just stuck me as pathetic.

This show was edited by an epilectic in a disco. Thats all I have to say about that. Anyone want a chocolate?

I think you mean epileptic. ;)