2 missing episodes of Till Death Us Do Part found

Two missing episodes of Johnny Speight's Till Death Us Do Part have been found. The episodes are In Sickness And In Health... and State Visit (episodes 8 and 9 of the second series). Hopefully it won't be a wasted find, and the episodes won't be hidden away due to Political Correctness. Hopefully BBC Four will repeat them once they get to a broadcast standard.

Even if political correctness forbids broadcasting; I'm sure the BBC won't be averse to making some money from the DVDs which I'm sure will have an appropriate warning.

Brilliant! That's great news. I'd love to see more of the show. And I do so wish they'd release the DVDs properly.

Quote: Morrace @ August 14 2009, 4:50 PM BST

Even if political correctness forbids broadcasting; I'm sure the BBC won't be averse to making some money from the DVDs which I'm sure will have an appropriate warning.

No, they just cut the DVDs! (e.g. Bottom, Fawlty Towers etc.)

Political correctness is the worst thing that has happened to the world since ... well, there is no precedent.

I can't recall where I read this, but someone was suggesting that releasing The Goodies might be difficult, due to episodes with "racial stereotyping", blackface makeup etc. being present. Not a showstopper, I wouldn't have thought?

One wouldn't have thought so. But God knows what goes on in their tiny minds.

Quote: Aaron @ August 14 2009, 4:55 PM BST

Brilliant! That's great news. I'd love to see more of the show. And I do so wish they'd release the DVDs properly.

So do I.

Quote: Aaron @ August 14 2009, 4:55 PM BST

. I do so wish they'd release the DVDs properly.

Yes. But there are rumours Network are considering the release of Till Death... which is an ITV sitcom so that should be a big stride in the right direction and then we'd hope that 2Entertain will release the surviving episodes of Till Death Us Do Part as they should soon have the complete In Sickness And In Health on DVD. Hopefully in a couple of years, all what is surviving of Till Death Us Do Part and its spin-offs will find its way onto DVD.

I dunno. Where'd you hear that rumour? Seems possible that Network would - although they'd not released an awful lot of ATV to date - but 2entertain are absolutely awful at releasing archive shows. Particularly ones that could be seen as offensive (look how cut-happy they were with OFAH for example). So I really would not bet on that side of it. Particularly given the low sales Network had for the ones they did release.

But there's not that many ATV sitcoms out there anyway, they did release George and the Dragon. I got the rumour from wikipedia, so it is unreliable, so I've emailed a friend of mine who knows people who work for Network, so hopefully that will confirm or deny the rumour. However, there is offensive language in In Sickness and in Health and that's been released.
I was unaware offensive stuff had been omitted from Only Fools. There is offensive racist language heard occasionally in early episodes and that hasn't been cut.

Quite a lot of editing, apparently. Not having been around to see original broadcast I'm not sure what, but mostly "racist" remarks, I think. I'd guess that ISAIH may have been hacked similarly.

They have begun releasing The Larkins, another ATV show, too.

The Larkins had in it an actor called Shaun O'Riordon, who in 1960 went to the other side of the camera and directed George And The Dragon.
I recently watched an episode of Never Mind The Quality, Feel The Width which had an Irishman in it (played by Fawlty Towers' O'Reilly and Robin's Nest star David Kelly). His name in NMTQFTW was Sean O'Riordon. Vince Powell and Harry Driver wrote both George And The Dragon and NMTQFTW. Just thought I'd share that trivia with you.
Speaking of editing in OFAH, I don't like the way on the first series that they have used the theme tune that everybody knows the show as, as the first series had a totally different theme-tune and I think the DVD should have used that theme tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6kDPBsFles

Now Network DVD released The Fenn Street Gang, the first series had a different theme tune to the rest, yet the first series had its own unique theme tune.

That original theme tune is present on the first episode on DVD. Was it used for the whole run? I just assumed it was changed by E2.

Hadn't made the connection with O'Riordon. Well spotted. Have you seen any of The Larkins?

Quote: Jack Massey @ August 26 2009, 11:12 PM BST

Now Network DVD released The Fenn Street Gang, the first series had a different theme tune to the rest, yet the first series had its own unique theme tune.

Not quite sure what you're saying here though mate!

Yes, the whole run. It is present in the first episode, yet it isn't for the theme-tune, just for a bit in the episode itself.

No, not seen anything of The Larkins. At the time it was considered the greatest sitcom ever. Probably won't commit to buy it on DVD. However, Network are releasing For the Love of Ada the first series. Not too impressed by the feature film, but there is an actual episode on YouTube from series 2. I may watch that and that will make me decide whether to buy it or not.